• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Thinking of making the switch from a Wrangler

TumbleWeed

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Long story short I've been brand loyal to Jeep/Chrysler Daimler my entire life and just purchased my third Wrangler. Every year the quality and customer service just gets worse and worse at Jeep. My jeeps only 4 months old and has already had the secondary 12v battery (ESS/Engine start stop battery) and alternator replaced on top if it already being in the shop 4+ times for poor steering, soft top rattling and stereo system cutting out. all the steering components came improperly torqued from the factory too, the castle nuts on my balljoints were finger tight. I caught that after it’s second trip to the dealer where they couldn’t find any issues and told me it drives within spec.

At this point im looking to make the switch to something more reliable and as offroad capable as the Wrangler and im thinking of getting a 2020 TRD offroad as a full size truck is too big for Arizona's rocky trails. I am wondering if theres anything i should be on the look out for or any quirks? If you go to the Jeep forum you can easily find a dozen plus threads and a 4000+ post thread on poor steering and the rear LSD chunking off into the diff but i cant seem to find any threads like that on here other than the transmission shifting issue that was fixed by a TSB and updated for the 2020s. Is the Toyota quality really that much better than Jeep or do us Jeepers just like to complain more lol?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
Long story short I've been brand loyal to Jeep/Chrysler Daimler my entire life and just purchased my third wrangler. Every year the quality and customer service just gets worse and worse at Jeep.My jeeps only 4 months old and has already had the secondary 12v battery (ESS/Engine start stop battery) and alternator replaced on top if it already being in the shop 4+ times for poor steering, soft top rattling and stereo system cutting out. all the steering components came improperly torqued from the factory too, the castle nuts on my balljoints were finger tight. I caught that after it’s second trip to the dealer where they couldn’t find any issues and told me it drives within spec.

At this point im looking to make the switch to something more reliable and as offroad capable as the Wrangler and im thinking of getting a 2020 TRD offroad. I am wondering if theres anything i should be on the look out for or any quirks? If you go to the Jeep forum you can easily find a dozen plus threads and a 4000+ post thread on poor steering and the rear LSD chunking off into the diff but i cant seem to find any threads like that on here other than the transmission shifting issue that was fixed by a TSB and updated for the 2020s. Is the Toyota quality really that much better than Jeep or do us Jeepers just like to complain more lol?

I would have to start by saying, straight axle vs ifs.

If you wheeled your Jeep, it is a whole different experience. Coming from jeeps as well, although I have had ifs trucks before and wheeled those. It’s not terrible but it takes some getting used to.

I have a 2018 so I can’t speak out of experience on them but I have seen a lot of review videos in the 2020s. Seems as they improved a few things.

Batteries are not the greatest quality in the 2016-2018s, a lot of people have had them replaced around the 1.5-2 year mark.

Transmission shifting is not confirmed if it has been fixed for 2020s either. It is not a big deal to fix, the dealer did the update to mine and I have no more issues with it.

Offroading is not compromised with a truck either. My Tacoma has actually done more than my beat up trail rig Cherokees on 35s. Highly impressed in the off-road capability of the Tacoma. I do however, have an air locker in my SR5 (bought with the intent to build it) so that helps level the field some.

Not really any big downfalls or issues with them, they are built pretty strong. I’ve done some Knarly things with mine and didn’t hurt it a bit. I say go for it and show us the pics when you do!

Thanks for the info. Im talking to the my salesman now but haven't driven one yet. i figured anything will drive better than the Jeep at this point.
The last IFS vehicle i had was a 2003 ram about 10 years ago and have only driven and wheeled SFA vehicles (wranglers) since. I dont do any crazy offroading or rock crawling, mainly just old forest and washboard style roads which the SFA does well just very very slowly.

Thanks for the info. Im talking to the my salesman now but haven't driven one yet. i figured anything will drive better than the Jeep at this point.
The last IFS vehicle i had was a 2003 ram about 10 years ago and have only driven and wheeled SFA vehicles (wranglers) since. I dont do any crazy offroading or rock crawling, mainly just old forest and washboard style roads which the SFA does well just very very slowly.

You should be happy with ifs on that type of terrain then. The stock shocks are good, but for an even better ride on washboard roads, a quality set of shocks with reservoirs is an awesome improvement. Especially if you hit the skinny pedal ??

I will advise you to go drive one before you commit. Like really drive it. If you can find a rental do so and get a few hundred miles in different conditions. It'll be worth the added cost. The transmission can be finicky to say the least and it has driven many nuts.

That said I love my truck and the quirks it has are outweighed by the pros.

I will advise you to go drive one before you commit. Like really drive it. If you can find a rental do so and get a few hundred miles in different conditions. It'll be worth the added cost. The transmission can be finicky to say the least and it has driven many nuts.

That said I love my truck and the quirks it has are outweighed by the pros.

Thanks! Thats a really good idea, I think most rentals are like $35 for the day which is nothing compared to a 35k+ investment so it'd be crazy not to get one for a day. i always feel rushed when testing driving a new vehicle and with them pestering you about every feature its tough to get a good feel for it yourself so im definitely going to take that advice

I've had my fair share of issues with my 16 Tacoma and have spent a couple thousand at the dealer out of warranty to fix it. I have also owned various Jeeps for 20 years from YJ to Gladiator and know what comes with those. I would say reliability is equal on them in my experience.

Buy what's best for your driving habits and get a good warranty.

Last edited:
I can help you for sure, I am also on my 3rd wrangler since yr 2000. I have had several Toyota and Honda. The bottom line is Honda and Toyota are the most dependable brands overall. taking the last 20yrs to today, overall, they are the best. Now is there a model or two that wasn't quite as good, sure. Did kia and others step the game up to better quality, yes. Get the Tacoma ALL DAY LONG. I have a 2016 Taco, 75k miles. I will drive this truck for the next 10yrs strategical. FCA is not the most dependable brand. I know the quirks with Jeep, i know their shortcomings, their faults but I keep my wrangler because its a unique vehicle and it holds its resale. that being said, you know the wrangler has built in problems from sensors, to you name it. Tacoma all day long, dont think twice. Whatever problems tacomas have, dont compare to others. Friend of mine just got out of his 2yr old ford, panoramic roof never stopped leaking, yes under warranty but had to be in a loaner car all the time instead of his truck. Get the Tacoma, you will laugh all the way to the bank.

Hey Everyone,
Long story short I've been brand loyal to Jeep/Chrysler Daimler my entire life and just purchased my third Wrangler. Every year the quality and customer service just gets worse and worse at Jeep. My jeeps only 4 months old and has already had the secondary 12v battery (ESS/Engine start stop battery) and alternator replaced on top if it already being in the shop 4+ times for poor steering, soft top rattling and stereo system cutting out. all the steering components came improperly torqued from the factory too, the castle nuts on my balljoints were finger tight. I caught that after it’s second trip to the dealer where they couldn’t find any issues and told me it drives within spec.

At this point im looking to make the switch to something more reliable and as offroad capable as the Wrangler and im thinking of getting a 2020 TRD offroad as a full size truck is too big for Arizona's rocky trails. I am wondering if theres anything i should be on the look out for or any quirks? If you go to the Jeep forum you can easily find a dozen plus threads and a 4000+ post thread on poor steering and the rear LSD chunking off into the diff but i cant seem to find any threads like that on here other than the transmission shifting issue that was fixed by a TSB and updated for the 2020s. Is the Toyota quality really that much better than Jeep or do us Jeepers just like to complain more lol?

Thanks in advanced
Not sure if I missed it, but did you get the Tacoma?

i did! i ended up getting a 2020 TRD OR DC.
I just put on some 255/85/16s Maxxis Bighorn Mud Terrain tires and after a few trails i can say im very impressed with its offroad performance. It also drives 100x better onroad than my Jeeps
Awesome, congrats on the truck!

i did! i ended up getting a 2020 TRD OR DC.
I just put on some 255/85/16s Maxxis Bighorn Mud Terrain tires and after a few trails i can say im very impressed with its offroad performance. It also drives 100x better onroad than my Jeeps

Congrats on the new Tacoma!

Congrats on the Tacoma! I'm late to the party but was going to suggest a 4Runner might be closer to the Wrangler as far as offroading due to it's short wheelbase.

Anyway, enjoy the truck it'll last you forever. I've only ever heard bad things about Wranglers outside of offroad capability and resale value, which the Tacoma has as well.

Back