• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Thinking about getting this wheel/tire/suspension set up on my 2020 Off-Road, what do you think about it?

datmoffbry

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I have a stock 2020 TRD Off-Road with a long bed and plan on getting this set up, I've been trying to do as much research as possible and would appreciate your guys inputs. Not trying to spend too much, but also not trying to get anything I'll regret. Don't plan on doing any hardcore rock climbing but more of a weekenderlander set up.

Wheels: Method Racing Wheels 701 16" Matte Black https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/701-matte-black

Tires: Falken AT3Ws

Suspension: Pro Comp Leveling Kit 3"/1" (If I plan on doing an overland set up, is 1" in the back going to be fine? buddy of mine told me should be fine since the shocks come upgraded)

I was quoted $2450 for everything that includes install and tax. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have a stock 2020 TRD Off-Road with a long bed and plan on getting this set up, I've been trying to do as much research as possible and would appreciate your guys inputs. Not trying to spend too much, but also not trying to get anything I'll regret. Don't plan on doing any hardcore rock climbing but more of a weekenderlander set up.

Wheels: Method Racing Wheels 701 16" Matte Black https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/701-matte-black

Tires: Falken AT3Ws

Suspension: Pro Comp Leveling Kit 3"/1" (If I plan on doing an overland set up, is 1" in the back going to be fine? buddy of mine told me should be fine since the shocks come upgraded)

I was quoted $2450 for everything that includes install and tax. Thanks in advance!
Wheels and tires are common picks so you’re fine there.

Do you have a link to that suspension kit? For the weight of overland gear, it’s more about the leaf springs in the rear. It doesn’t sound like that kit comes with upgraded leaf springs, does it?

Wheels and tires are common picks so you’re fine there.

Do you have a link to that suspension kit? For the weight of overland gear, it’s more about the leaf springs in the rear. It doesn’t sound like that kit comes with upgraded leaf springs, does it?

No the leveling kit itself doesn’t come with upgraded leaf springs but after I asked the guy about it he said he can add a leaf to accommodate the weight but that it might give it a slight higher stance in the rear though? Wouldn’t it level out completely after I add a rack, RTT, hi jack lift and all that? Here’s a link to the pro comp leveling kit without the extra leaf

https://www.procompusa.com/levellift

No the leveling kit itself doesn’t come with upgraded leaf springs but after I asked the guy about it he said he can add a leaf to accommodate the weight but that it might give it a slight higher stance in the rear though? Wouldn’t it level out completely after I add a rack, RTT, hi jack lift and all that? Here’s a link to the pro comp leveling kit without the extra leaf

https://www.procompusa.com/levellift
The add-a-leaf would theoretically result in a slightly higher rear, yes. And adding weight from your gear would theoretically push it back down and level it. However, it’s hard to know exactly how much all of your gear will weigh and how much that additional weight will actually push the rear down. Because you want a bed rack, RTT, and all the gear to go with it, I actually think you’ll end up sitting lower in the rear than the front with just an add-a-leaf. For a full setup like that, I’d suggest getting a replacement leaf pack that is rated for more weight.

In your original post you asked about 1” added to the rear being enough for a full overland setup. It’s very likely that setup will end up around 500-800 lbs and with that amount of weight you will definitely drop down more than 1” (which means you’d then be close to, or lower, than where you were stock).

In your original post you asked about 1” added to the rear being enough for a full overland setup. It’s very likely that setup will end up around 500-800 lbs and with that amount of weight you will definitely drop down more than 1” (which means you’d then be close to, or lower, than where you were stock).

Oh wow. So do you suggest I not get the pro comp at all or different lift in the back or just forget about the add-a-leaf and get a replacement leaf pack? Sorry for all the questions, all this information is new to me but extremely appreciated.

Oh wow. So do you suggest I not get the pro comp at all or different lift in the back or just forget about the add-a-leaf and get a replacement leaf pack? Sorry for all the questions, all this information is new to me but extremely appreciated.
Nothing to be sorry about.

The big factor here is that you know you want to do the full overland setup. Because of that alone, I would say that if you can afford it, do a full suspension lift that includes shocks, heavier duty front coils, and heavier duty leaf springs. It should be possible to get that done at around $1,200 on the low end.

The big factor here is that you know you want to do the full overland setup. Because of that alone, I would say that if you can afford it, do a full suspension lift that includes shocks, heavier duty front coils, and heavier duty leaf springs. It should be possible to get that done at around $1,200 on the low end.

I mean a little more debt wouldn’t kill me haha I’m just kidding but I think I’d rather do that because like I said in my original post I don’t want to buy something I’ll regret or just won’t work with the entire set up down the line. Any recommendations?

My buddy mentioned BDS coil over kit?

I mean a little more debt wouldn’t kill me haha I’m just kidding but I think I’d rather do that because like I said in my original post I don’t want to buy something I’ll regret or just won’t work with the entire set up down the line. Any recommendations?
I generally recommend Bilstein 5100s for your shocks, OME coils in the front, and a Dakar, Deaver, or OME leaf pack in the rear. When doing this, you should also replace your upper control arms and for that I’d go with the SPC UCAs. This is a good setup that will give you what you need and not completely destroy your wallet. It’s also the most common entry level setup.

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/c98/2016__Toyota_Tacoma.html

Nothing wrong with a BDS kit though, if you’d rather go that route.

My buddy mentioned BDS coil over kit?

BDS definitely makes some high-quality kits. There are a lot of fine options out there in the suspension realm, and I would definitely recommend you do a little more research before you pull the trigger. I'm a big believer in the buy one's cry once philosophy, and even I've bought more than once. Lol

That said check out our vendor forum has there a lot of good vendors in there willing to make great deals on a lot of really good products. I definitely agree with Tyler that if you're going to be doing an Overland setup with all the gear and equipment that you already talking about you may want to just go straight to a full leaf pack in the rear and the quality coil over and shock combo.

An add a leaf set up usually only buys you just a tiny bit of height and not really any load capacity increase. Getting a full leaf pack will allow you to carry the weight that you're going to add to the truck while still retaining a little bit of the height that you've gained. Dever and Alcan, make some of the best stuff out there, but they're definitely pricey. OME HD Dakars are another option, which I currently have on my truck, and they're definitely nice but even I think I've overloaded mine, and many people end up not liking them. I'll likely be replacing mine shortly. icon also makes their RXT suspension setup that's adjustable with the vehicle as it grows in weight or loadout style. research some of those options and you should come up with something that suits your needs.

Welcome to Tacoma3G!

Man can't thank you enough for the info and recommendations! I'm definitely going to look into this set up.

BDS definitely makes some high-quality kits. There are a lot of fine options out there in the suspension realm, and I would definitely recommend you do a little more research before you pull the trigger. I'm a big believer in the buy one's cry once philosophy, and even I've bought more than once. Lol

That said check out our vendor forum has there a lot of good vendors in there willing to make great deals on a lot of really good products. I definitely agree with Tyler that if you're going to be doing an Overland setup with all the gear and equipment that you already talking about you may want to just go straight to a full leaf pack in the rear and the quality coil over and shock combo.

An add a leaf set up usually only buys you just a tiny bit of height and not really any load capacity increase. Getting a full leaf pack will allow you to carry the weight that you're going to add to the truck while still retaining a little bit of the height that you've gained. Dever and Alcan, make some of the best stuff out there, but they're definitely pricey. OME HD Dakars are another option, which I currently have on my truck, and they're definitely nice but even I think I've overloaded mine, and many people end up not liking them. I'll likely be replacing mine shortly. icon also makes their RXT suspension setup that's adjustable with the vehicle as it grows in weight or loadout style. research some of those options and you should come up with something that suits your needs.

Welcome to Tacoma3G!

Appreciate you man! Thank you, I'll be sure to keep doing research because the deeper I get the more I realize how little I know. Also, keep up the awesome videos fellas @Tyler @Mr. Nobody !

Back