• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance The high beams headlights do not work under 21 mph?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
I live on a coffee farm…no lights (off the grid). Mostly dirt and gravel road…. It was very dark..I went to turn on the high beam after turning on the headlights ..( wanted more lights )..it did not work..if you flip the level towards you ..it does light up the high beams…speed about 5-10 mph..
Manuel says if the roads are dark and driving under 21 mph ..the high beams do NOT turn on……WHY? If you are off roading under 21 mph…you will not be able to use your high beams…. In my old truck (s)….We use the high beams a lot…!

High beams are useless for going off roads….I do have “ditch lighting”. Works wonders..worth getting…give’s you a wider vision …A Super MOD…the Ditch lighting!

Now I will need ti invest in a front bar lights…

I really like to know the WHY’s the high beams works only after 21 mph??? Many times we are scouting areas for camping / fishing, the high beams comes in handed…

Good thing my flash lights works at any speed….? ..I do carry a very bright spot light…believe it or not ..when we hook up to a large Ulua ( shoreline fish). We can turn the fish by shining the spot light in front of the fish and turn it to run opposite directions…to avoid reefs, etc…
Ulua’s can get over 100 pounds ..the record is 150 lbs..

Anyone “why high beams will not work under 21 mph?
Aloha

Ok I get it…? At slower speeds (under 21 mph). Most times addition lighting is not important, because you can stop quicker? And far distance sightings is not important because it takes longer to get there…?
So regular lighting is suppose to provide enough lighting at slower speeds…and for “safety “.

Meaning high beams are not for off roading and low speed street driving…?
It is a good thing I have a smart phone and smart Tacoma truck?

Maybe the high beams work better during the day? Um ?

Upvote 0
I was confused about this question at first. But I don’t have auto lights (which I prefer). Kind of land that you auto light folks have to do it that way.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys….I thought I turn off that switch near my left knee…. I will try tonight it’s see if that was the problem…

My auto high beams do not react very well on turns …and blinds the other driver…so I must turn it off as I begin to see the lights of the other car before we are eye to eye…lol
Aloha,

Upvote 0
Did you know there is headlamps the follow the curvature of the roads? Turning the lights in the direction the car is turning…
Not all models and makes…Porche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, Honda , Ford Lincoln and even Toyota Lexus…has these Adaptive turning headlamps….
They say. It reduces car accident’s ( auto insurance companies - data)…

Will we see adaptive headlamps in every vehicle one day? Maybe ? $$$?

98% of the roads on the island of Oahu has street lights…so much easier to drive at nights…We live on the Big Island of Hawaii… 98% of the roads has NO street lights…driving at nights , you will need to be extra alert…. Friends from Oahu..were surprised to see lack of street lights…
And many roads / streets on the Big Island ..when you drive off the roads/ streets ..you end up in the “lava field’s “…bodies gets torn up if thrown out of the vehicles. Drive safe…High way “ Queen Ka’ahumanu”. 33 miles long ,one of the most travel roads…on the Big island , very scenic…they remove all the donkeys, but you will see lots of wild goats..along the Queen K highway..
Aloha

Upvote 0
You're funny man :) Yes, my wife had a 2009 Lexus ES that did that with the headlights. Pretty cool...also something else to break at some point.

Upvote 0
I must have push the “Auto light button ON….” Button Near the left knees…. Once off …Now my high beams are working at any speed…. Thank you for pointing that out…”Mahalo’s “

Ditch lights …this should be one of the first MOD’s for trail driving! High beams works great for shining way up up front…ditch lights gives a wider viewing up close…. We use the ditch lights on the coffee farm all the time at nights…
Aloha

Upvote 0
Back