• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The BakFlip Woes

Andrew0311

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Alright so I’m a week in with my new Bakflip MX4 bed cover and as clean as it looks and the ability to secure my belongings (that fit), I’m a bit bummed with how much it limits me.

would have loved to do a crossbars mounting system, dsnt work.

tried to fit my cooler for hunting in the bed (covered to keep the dust out), dsnt work.

generator, dsnt work.

I put the cooler to the tail gate and folded back the first section and realized there’s no way to secure that section from the wind, so, had to fold it back to the clips I. The front. Needless to say the belongings in the bed were dusty as hell.
Should have just spent the money on a bed rack.

Should have done more research before buying , I know...

what have you done with your bakflip?
Post pics !

I had a bakflip on a 2010 Tacoma I had, and loved it. I drive and travel a lot for work. Back then I was spending most of the week away from home. I could bring whatever I wanted along with me and the bakflip made the truck Bed lockable storage like a trunk.

I've ordered another bakflip for my 2019 Taco.

I had a bakflip on a 2010 Tacoma I had, and loved it. I drive and travel a lot for work. Back then I was spending most of the week away from home. I could bring whatever I wanted along with me and the bakflip made the truck Bed lockable storage like a trunk.

I've ordered another bakflip for my 2019 Taco.

that’s the whole idea. I was like sweet I can mitigate theft of my work equipment and then added bonus of not having to get all my stuff dusty when I drive off road and I had seen some cross bar options for other covers so I was like this will be great.

just dsnt seem to be ideal for my situation I suppose ??‍♂️

that’s the whole idea. I was like sweet I can mitigate theft of my work equipment and then added bonus of not having to get all my stuff dusty when I drive off road and I had seen some cross bar options for other covers so I was like this will be great.

just dsnt seem to be ideal for my situation I suppose ??‍♂️

I’m planning To get an electric fridge/freezer and will have to measure carefully so I can get it under the bakflip closed.

I’m planning To get an electric fridge/freezer and will have to measure carefully so I can get it under the bakflip closed.

yea definitely want to make sure you get one that isn’t too tall

I was thinking about getting an MX4 bed cover but I went with the G2 and I haven't had any issues. I've only had it for about a week.

For me personally, I think the two choices are a rollup cover like the Access Original that I can fit a fridge and slide under but it still works with a rack, or a contractor or overland grade topper. Currently running the Roll-Up cover, but it's not 100% watertight or secure like other options are.

Any photos of that G2?

Yes sir!
taco.jpg

Back