• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

That pesky A/C Condensate Leak...

SeaMac

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Not sure if this has been mentioned before although I believe every 3rd gen suffers this malady. About a month after taking delivery of my Tacoma a small drip developed in the front passenger side footwell. I have Weathertech liners and I don't sit in that seat so I took it as....it is what it is.

A week ago that drip turned into a flood nearly filling the liner. I am OCD/Anal about keeping the cabin air filter (behind glove box) clean and the cabin fresh air intake in the cowl free of leaves and debris.

Having had enough of the torrent of condensate I reached under the hood to poke out whatever might be clogging the drain that penetrates the firewall, nothing, no obstruction whatsoever. Next stop Home Depot to the plumbing department where I purchased 10' of 1/2" clear tubing.

That 1/2" tubing nearly matches the drain hose so with a little bit of duct tape they become one. Next I taped the free end into the suction hose of my wet vac and turned it on high. Wholly crap did a LOT of water AND crap come through the clear tubing. Apparently there was a clog upstream beyond the 90° turn the drain hose makes as it enters the cabin. For future drain tube sucking I intend to insert a male quick connect in the drain hose in the engine compartment and a female quick connect to my newly bought tubing.

I had some errands to run after "suction" and today it is South Florida typical, brutally hot with oppressive humidity and not a drop of water on or in the liner. This suction procedure will now be added to my regular maintenance routine. I'm sure if I had the crap that came out of that tube analyzed it would be mostly ground up Live Oak leaves since there's a monster Live Oak on the side of my house where the garage and driveway are. I am constantly cleaning oak leaves out of my cowl.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before although I believe every 3rd gen suffers this malady. About a month after taking delivery of my Tacoma a small drip developed in the front passenger side footwell. I have Weathertech liners and I don't sit in that seat so I took it as....it is what it is.

A week ago that drip turned into a flood nearly filling the liner. I am OCD/Anal about keeping the cabin air filter (behind glove box) clean and the cabin fresh air intake in the cowl free of leaves and debris.

Having had enough of the torrent of condensate I reached under the hood to poke out whatever might be clogging the drain that penetrates the firewall, nothing, no obstruction whatsoever. Next stop Home Depot to the plumbing department where I purchased 10' of 1/2" clear tubing.

That 1/2" tubing nearly matches the drain hose so with a little bit of duct tape they become one. Next I taped the free end into the suction hose of my wet vac and turned it on high. Wholly crap did a LOT of water AND crap come through the clear tubing. Apparently there was a clog upstream beyond the 90° turn the drain hose makes as it enters the cabin. For future drain tube sucking I intend to insert a male quick connect in the drain hose in the engine compartment and a female quick connect to my newly bought tubing.

I had some errands to run after "suction" and today it is South Florida typical, brutally hot with oppressive humidity and not a drop of water on or in the liner. This suction procedure will now be added to my regular maintenance routine. I'm sure if I had the crap that came out of that tube analyzed it would be mostly ground up Live Oak leaves since there's a monster Live Oak on the side of my house where the garage and driveway are. I am constantly cleaning oak leaves out of my cowl.
Hi, just read your post and I am having some problems very similar to yours. Where is this drain hose that you connected the tubing to? i would also like to keep this up as a regular PM

Upvote 0
If it's the A/C drain, it's 5/8" heater hose and hose clamp.
Clear will fade, melt, crack, dry...

drip_zps108d64ed_63458512ca6382747a89453ba4297a4d93c3cac2-jpg.1901897

Upvote 0
where is this reference point found in your pic please? under the carpet?

Just be sure to use black heater hose. Not clear. Route it through some of the holes directly underneath it and use some large zip ties to secure it. If using a hose clamp don't overtighten it so it pinches the existing tube shut. If I recall correctly, it was pretty soft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
Back