• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Tailgate Replacement Plates Knowledge Dump

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So this seems to be turning into a series. If you've got more into to add I'd be happy to edit it into the top post.

PaxRax $150 + Shipping ($20 for me)
Material: 1/8" aluminum
NOTE: Black powder coating included, does not replace the cap.
PAKRAX 05-CURRENT TACOMA TAILGATE PANEL

Mountain Hatch $220-$260 + Shipping ($20 for me)
Material: 1/2 inch plastic
NOTE: Coupons for First Responders, Military/Vets, Teachers and Nurses. Not sure how to get coupon or what the % off is
https://mountainhatch.org/shop?olsPage=t/mountain-hatch-tacoma-panel-for-2nd-and-3rd-gen

Relentless $189-$304 + Shipping ($93 for me)
Material: .100" aluminum (I'm not familiar with aluminum grades. I suspect this is 1/8" polished smooth)
NOTE: The price bump is for black matte powder coating, covers the cap as well.
2016+ Tacoma Tail Gate Reinforcement

Mobtown $119.00 – $169.00 + Shipping ($47.61 for me)
Material: 14 GA. Steel
NOTE: Tailgate cap is an additional $89.00 + shipping
2005 - 2020 Toyota Tacoma Tailgate Reinforcement Plate

Adventure Ready $???
Material: 3/8″ thick plastic
NOTE: I was unable to see how to buy this one.
Tailgate Cutting Board for Toyota Tacoma - Adventure Ready

Talegator $99
Material: ???
NOTE: Claims to be universal. Website is woefully lacking in information
The TaleGator - Seat for your pick up and SUV tailgates...

EDIT: 12/3/20

Al Offroad Trailgate $185 (increased to $210-30, noted 6/30/21)
Material: 1/8” Aluminum

Bare Outfitters Trailgate: $195 - (Website gone, company gone as well? noted 6/30/21)
Material: 1/8” Aluminum
NOTE: this is what I ended up getting. AFAICT it is the same thing as the Al Offroad type except with a different logo.

EDIT: 6/30/21

Mobtown "2005 – 2021 TOYOTA TACOMA TAILGATE REINFORCEMENT PLATE" - $175
Material: Made from 14 GA. Steel, Matte Black Powdercoat. Optional Hardware Pack W/ Steel Rivet Nuts and Corrosion Resistant Bolts to replace factory plastic nut inserts FREE SHIPPING TO THE LOWER 48 STATES (Contact us for shipping to AK, HI or Canada)

expand...
Snail armor also has one. Doesn't replace the cap and can be custom laser etched if you want to add your own design. Was $185 when I bought mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------

- Why do I need one of these?

The stock panel has 2 problems that I'm aware of. The material is not very strong and the ribbed surface make it a pain in the ass to set things down on it (including your ass). - RevN3

- If I get one with a cap, will it work with my canopy/topper/shell or tonneau cover?

Based in the writeups from companies that offer them the cap could be thinner resulting in less of a seal, YMMV. - RevN3

- Can I just DIY one myself? It doesn't look too hard.

I agree, it looks do-able but I'm not seeing many examples of people doing that anywhere. I guess the answer is, maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving your knowledge dump threads. I've been thinking of a way to have them more officially available on the website, such as in the tutorials drop down list at the top of each page. There is also a way to put the info in an organized spreadsheet view like I did in my build thread, but the way you have it is fine right now. Thank you for putting this stuff together for us.

I agree with your two listed issues. The solutions on the market tend to be expensive for what they are, but apparently a DIY version doesn't save THAT much money depending on the material you go with.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I suppose I should go into DIY solutions. I will look into that more.

I'm glad you like the dump threads. I figure I'm already doing the research so I might as well paste the results into a post. My Google-fu is strong.

Upvote 0
Added Al Offroad Trailgate and Bare Outfitters

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was just noticing that. Also, it looks like Mobtown has one now for $175

Snail armor also has one. Doesn't replace the cap and can be custom laser etched if you want to add your own design. Was $185 when I bought mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_132103_336.jpg
    IMG_20201015_132103_336.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Back