• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tacoma spare vs Ford Ranger spare?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
My Brother in law brought a new 2020 xlt Ford ranger 4x4.....they just got a flat tire...Did you know the ford ranger spare is more like a emergency tire! Also ford ranger spare tire had a note: Do not drive over 50 mph?
The rims on ranger may differ either spare 16 inch or 17 inch rim but the tire height almost the same?
My brother-in-law ..thought DO NOT DRIVE over 50 miles...lol
more ford ranger if 4 tires is 17 inch rim...spare will be 16 inch..and if have 18 inch rim..spare will be 17 inch...just be aware?
Tacoma...maybe a better choice here for spares to match...
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. Do the Rangers have the space for a full sized spare if you wanted to replace the donut?

I believe they do.... before you buy a Ford Ranger...request a full size/ rim and tire....to match...Rangers comes with 16,17 & 18 inch rims...can be either iron or aluminum?

I think for a 4x4...Ford should have done this...all about saving money....but reputation can go down!
Aloha

Can you make a request like that? I should have requested a matching rim for the spare on my Taco.

How much have you ever driven on your spare? I think of mine as "just get me to civilization", usually just keep an old worn down tire under there when the original spare gets old.

I'd be happy to save a few bucks and just have a cheapo

Turns out ..according to the Ford dealer...it is the spare rim..is the weak point...reason for under 50 MPH...the tire is same on the truck (4tires)....tire OK.....rim is Not..
Aloha,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back