• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tacoma Nation Social wave??

Oc Taco Charlie Beach Bum

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
Midnight Black
We need one as we pass each other on the road. Like the Biker's. Who has a good idea? The under wave will be hard to beat. But nevertheless, a friendly gesture to acknowledge a fellow Taco Owner. Let's Start something positive here
bikers-1024x576.jpg

We need one as we pass each other on the road. Like the Biker's. Who has a good idea? The under wave will be hard to beat. But nevertheless, a friendly gesture to acknowledge a fellow Taco Owner. Let's Start something positive here
bikers-1024x576.jpg
It's already happening. On my way through Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico real recognized real. It's like a Jeep wave. Hand on top the wheel. Two fingers up in recognition

I don’t wave at or receive waves from most stock to slightly modified Tacos. It’s not a pretentious mindset or anything like that. I think they’re just regular people that wanted to buy a truck to suit their needs, which is fine (obviously lol).

The majority of owners are probably not enthusiasts like we are. They might have some bigger tires and mods but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve ever been on a Taco forum or social media group, etc, which is what I mean by enthusiast. So if they’re not an enthusiast in this sense, they probably wouldn’t understand or notice the wave.

Now, sometimes you can clearly tell when the driver is a total enthusiast. When that’s the case, I usually do receive/deliver a wave. Not even for just Tacos but for any cool rig. Sometimes there’s just that obvious appreciation of each other’s trucks and you already know the wave is coming.

I don’t wave at or receive waves from most stock to slightly modified Tacos. It’s not a pretentious mindset or anything like that. I think they’re just regular people that wanted to buy a truck to suit their needs, which is fine (obviously lol).

The majority of owners are probably not enthusiasts like we are. They might have some bigger tires and mods but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve ever been on a Taco forum or social media group, etc, which is what I mean by enthusiast. So if they’re not an enthusiast in this sense, they probably wouldn’t understand or notice the wave.

Now, sometimes you can clearly tell when the driver is a total enthusiast. When that’s the case, I usually do receive/deliver a wave. Not even for just Tacos but for any cool rig. Sometimes there’s just that obvious appreciation of each other’s trucks and you already know the wave is coming.
I should have noted it was only built rigs that were obvious Tacoma enthusiasts. You're spot on about that that. It wasnt the folks who just bought one bc they need a mulch mover or compact pickup as a daily driver to commute with.

It's already happening. On my way through Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico real recognized real. It's like a Jeep wave. Hand on top the wheel. Two fingers up in recognition
I get this “sign” a lot on the trail but I am never sure if it is a “Hello, taco owner” or “Two more vehicles in my group coming around this corner”.
I would vote for this to be the official Tacoma owner hello sign, but it requires but hands to be off the wheel.
Original link: https://youtu.be/BiNT7CY5mJI

I've been flashing my DRLs at gen3s for years, I'll get waves in response sometimes but not often. Maybe it's an Oregon thing, I don't have much luck with Jeep waves either. Too many soccer moms hanging on for dear life. Motorcycle waves work but maybe that's because it's more obvious and motorcycles are less common that Tacos and Jeeps.

Easy now, we all don't have deep wallets to have our Tacoma's rigged for anything that comes our way with having owned them in the first few months. I.M.H.O., a vehicle modification plan and implementation takes time, and resources, and is not always a static endeavor, but rather dynamic with additional changes/modifications done over time for the most part. It's even a challenge getting some aftermarket parts these days, as well!

My 2020 Off Road DCLB has some slight modifications, but nothing to radical that would deserve the disdain that some might feel towards how built up a Tacoma is, and acknowledging another 3rd Gen Tacoma owner. Mine is set-up for Overlanding/fire trail/forest service roads driving, and not radical rock crawling as most of my modifications one cannot see driving by me at 35 plus MPH. I don't sport a permanent roof top tent, and never will as we tent camp, and it isn't lifted off the ground with 35" tire, and aftermarket wheels, along with steel bumpers front and back, either. I do have behind the lower grill a 32" lightbar that is hidden, and that you definitly will not notice driving by me.

The only thing that might give some credence and credibility to my rig is that I do have a Leer cap with windoors and roof rack bars that get accessories mounted on them (Skybox, recovery boards, and awning) when I do overland travel with my wife, and an after market skid plate set-up. No need to keep the roof rack bars and mounted with other recovery gear on the roof rack bars along with storage boxes all of the time either: Around town, I like better gas mileage with what the cost of gas is at the pumps these days it doesn't pay to drive around with them on all of the time. They are all easy to dismantle and set-up when we get ready to go traveling and return: No big time consuming deal for us.

You might even miss the AT tires on stock wheels (265/75-16), and rock sliders to be installed (they are on order as I type)........

3rd Gen Toyota Tacomas- Drive what you like, and like what you drive.

We all have one thing in common: We just plain like and appreciate our 3rd Gen Toyota Tacomas for what they are.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Easy now, we all don't have deep wallets to have our Tacoma's rigged for anything that comes our way with having owned them in the first few months. I.M.H.O., a vehicle modification plan and implementation takes time, and resources, and is not always a static endeavor, but rather dynamic with additional changes/modifications done over time for the most part. It's even a challenge getting some aftermarket parts these days, as well!

My 2020 Off Road DCLB has some slight modifications, but nothing to radical that would deserve the disdain that some might feel towards how built up a Tacoma is, and acknowledging another 3rd Gen Tacoma owner. Mine is set-up for Overlanding/fire trail/forest service roads driving, and not radical rock crawling as most of my modifications one cannot see driving by me at 35 plus MPH. I don't sport a permanent roof top tent, and never will as we tent camp, and it isn't lifted off the ground with 35" tire, and aftermarket wheels, along with steel bumpers front and back, either. I do have behind the lower grill a 32" lightbar that is hidden, and that you definitly will not notice driving by me.

The only thing that might give some credence and credibility to my rig is that I do have a Leer cap with windoors and roof rack bars that get accessories mounted on them (Skybox, recovery boards, and awning) when I do overland travel with my wife, and an after market skid plate set-up. No need to keep the roof rack bars and mounted with other recovery gear on the roof rack bars along with storage boxes all of the time either: Around town, I like better gas mileage with what the cost of gas is at the pumps these days it doesn't pay to drive around with them on all of the time. They are all easy to dismantle and set-up when we get ready to go traveling and return: No big time consuming deal for us.

You might even miss the AT tires on stock wheels (265/75-16), and rock sliders to be installed (they are on order as I type)........

3rd Gen Toyota Tacomas- Drive what you like, and like what you drive.

We all have one thing in common: We just plain like and appreciate our 3rd Gen Toyota Tacomas for what they are.

Just my 2 cents...
I was referring to all Taco owners, not just ones with mods

I was referring to all Taco owners, not just ones with mods
So, I'm not sure how it is where you live but just about every 5th vehicle on the road is a Taco in the PacNW. I'm not going to worry about waving to the Orkin Man and the Les Schwab Tire truck.

So, I'm not sure how it is where you live but just about every 5th vehicle on the road is a Taco in the PacNW. I'm not going to worry about waving to the Orkin Man and the Les Schwab Tire truck.
there are a bunch. I would like to start a group

Back