• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Swingout bumper recomendations.

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
After I regear and lock the truck I'm looking to add a rear bumper with tire carrier. I'd like to stay away from having to cut the bed tho. The reason being that if I ever do sell the truck or trade it in I'd like to be able to remove it and sell it or transfer to the next rig if body styles are the same. Looking for any suggestions on companies that offer that set up.

After I regear and lock the truck I'm looking to add a rear bumper with tire carrier. I'd like to stay away from having to cut the bed tho. The reason being that if I ever do sell the truck or trade it in I'd like to be able to remove it and sell it or transfer to the next rig if body styles are the same. Looking for any suggestions on companies that offer that set up.

@TRDOFHOLLAND has a pretty sweet setup

If you don’t want a full bumper, you could look into Rigd. They make a pretty dialed in tire carrier that is mounted through the hitch receiver. I don’t have any experience with one, but from what I’ve heard and read, they’re worth the price you pay.

I've looked at those and they seem pretty nice. Think I'm leaning more towards a full replacement for durability tho.
Cool. Cool. CBI makes solid bumpers and they have a rear with a swing out that does not cut the bumper. They have promos from time to time as well.

@TRDOFHOLLAND Any plans to reboot the bumper or that bed rack?? I was ready to buy one of the racks. Had everything I needed on there. Was sad to see the project get scraped.

If I may. Why are you looking for a swing out on a bumper. You can stuff a 33 under the bed? Why not save the money and do a rigd swing out.

QUOTE="Jay, post: 57514, member: 64"]
If I may. Why are you looking for a swing out on a bumper. You can stuff a 33 under the bed? Why not save the money and do a rigd swing out.
[/QUOTE]
Rigid carriers are mostly single purpose. Yes they have a couple attachments that can hold a single rotopax or a camp table. I'm not a fan of adding that solely to the hitch itself. A rear replacement offers better protection, stronger recovery points, a dedicated area for the spare AND 10gal of extra fuel. Three weeks ago I did 100mi in one stretch of overland in Utah. I had 5gal of spare fuel and only averaged 6mph. The next trip is over 200mi and im going to need that extra fuel space. I have 33s and the spare 100% will not fit under the bed unless it is touching the exhaust. Not a good thing at all. For my rigs purpose a full replacement is the better route.

QUOTE="Jay, post: 57514, member: 64"]
Rigid carriers are mostly single purpose. Yes they have a couple attachments that can hold a single rotopax or a camp table. I'm not a fan of adding that solely to the hitch itself. A rear replacement offers better protection, stronger recovery points, a dedicated area for the spare AND 10gal of extra fuel. Three weeks ago I did 100mi in one stretch of overland in Utah. I had 5gal of spare fuel and only averaged 6mph. The next trip is over 200mi and im going to need that extra fuel space. I have 33s and the spare 100% will not fit under the bed unless it is touching the exhaust. Not a good thing at all. For my rigs purpose a full replacement is the better route.
[/QUOTE]

200 miles! Whoa! Sounds like a fun trip dude!

Anyways, not trying to be hostile or anything, but I was able to get my Toyo MT 33s in the stock spare location, but that was without modification. I had to flatten the tabs and move the spare tire chain towards the back of the truck by one bolt pattern and I cleared the exhaust (very little space between the tire and heat shield, but enough) and the diff.

but I was able to get my Toyo MT 33s in the stock spare
Nice to hear it's possible to do! I didnt want to relocate anything under there when I tried. I'm running 255/85-16 (33.1) and they wouldnt get in there at all. Are you running a 255 or a 285? Not that theres a huge difference but every bit counts in the stock spare location. I have to carry mine in the bed at the moment.

Nice to hear it's possible to do! I didnt want to relocate anything under there when I tried. I'm running 255/85-16 (33.1) and they wouldnt get in there at all. Are you running a 255 or a 285? Not that theres a huge difference but every bit counts in the stock spare location. I have to carry mine in the bed at the moment.
255s. I think it comes out to 33.5" overall.

I'd like to stay away from having to cut the bed tho. The reason being that if I ever do sell the truck or trade it in I'd like to be able to remove it and sell it or transfer to the next rig if body styles are the same. Looking for any suggestions on companies that offer that set up.

Stay away from cutting the bed or cutting the rear bumper area? I haven't heard of any bumpers that need to cut the bed?

Stay away from cutting the bed or cutting the rear bumper area? I haven't heard of any bumpers that need to cut the bed?

Any high clearance bumper you have to cut below the taillights to the wheel well. A lot of high clearance ones have tire carriers.

If not high clearance, you don’t have to cut.

Any high clearance bumper you have to cut below the taillights to the wheel well. A lot of high clearance ones have tire carriers.

If not high clearance, you don’t have to cut.
Right but he mentioned the bed so I wasn't sure? I assume he wanted to not cut anything?

@TRDOFHOLLAND Any plans to reboot the bumper or that bed rack?? I was ready to buy one of the racks. Had everything I needed on there. Was sad to see the project get scraped.
No plans to continue the tire carrier, but were still building bed racks. Ive been doing more custom bed-racks lately, if you want a bed rack hit me up! Theyre local pickup only right now too (Holland, MI).

Back