• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Suspension

Cory2019TRD4X4offroad

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the stock suspension height is

Attachments

• 2A8C91C7-307A-460E-BD66-FB90C10FAA40.jpeg
    2A8C91C7-307A-460E-BD66-FB90C10FAA40.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 72
The stock suspension height is what the truck is delivered at from the factory. All suspension upgrades advertise the additional lift from that position.

Lift Systems will increase the hieght of your truck allowing for a larger tire will that adds to that height as well. With tire you get half the additional circumference. Go from a 30" to a 32" add 1" clearance.

Benefits of lift are:

Approach Angle - As vehicle approaches a grade this is the angle of slope that it can climb up without any part of the front hitting the ground
Approach Angle.jpg

Breakover Angle - When a vehicle crests a hill this the angle at which the front tires still remain on the ground as the rear wheels continue to climb before the bottom hits the ground
Breakover.jpg

Departure Angle- The angle between your rear tires and the first rear protrusion that would scrape the ground as you descend off of a hill
Depart.png

Articulation- The amount of movement between one tire and the other on the same axle. Measured commonly with Ramp Index Travel (RTI).
Aticulate.png

Ground Clearance - This is the amount of space between the lowest part of your vehicle's undercarriage and the flat ground
Ground.png

Can anyone tell me what the stock suspension height is
Not exactly sure what you're asking. The ground clearance for a trd off road is 9.4 inches, measure from the lowest point of the underside to the ground (roughly lower frame to ground, though there are a few bolts, bars, and exhaust pieces that squeeze a hair lower).

trd pro's add an inch to that, but that's all dependent on load (full tank of gas will change it, much less stuff like gear or a truck bed full of stuff, or a cab full of people).

The stock suspension height is what the truck is delivered at from the factory. All suspension upgrades advertise the additional lift from that position.

Lift Systems will increase the hieght of your truck allowing for a larger tire will that adds to that height as well. With tire you get half the additional circumference. Go from a 30" to a 32" add 1" clearance.

Benefits of lift are:

Approach Angle - As vehicle approaches a grade this is the angle of slope that it can climb up without any part of the front hitting the ground
Approach Angle.jpg

Breakover Angle - When a vehicle crests a hill this the angle at which the front tires still remain on the ground as the rear wheels continue to climb before the bottom hits the ground
Breakover.jpg

Departure Angle- The angle between your rear tires and the first rear protrusion that would scrape the ground as you descend off of a hill
Depart.png

Articulation- The amount of movement between one tire and the other on the same axle. Measured commonly with Ramp Index Travel (RTI).
Aticulate.png

Ground Clearance - This is the amount of space between the lowest part of your vehicle's undercarriage and the flat ground
Ground.png
Thank you just want to know what suspension to go with to get a 2” lift Above stock height

Any suspension advertised as 2" will work. Is it a bigger tire you desire or plans to do something more.

If you wish only to remove the rake, the difference between front and back a leveling kit will work. In this choose one in aluminum with thread in studs. Welded metal uses threaded inserts prone to spin out when strut maintenance is required.

Next level, there are front strut replacement lifts with a small rear lift block in the 2.5-3" range that work well and won't set you back to bad. They will use the upper spring and component from your OE strut. Choose a kit with upper A-Arm replacement to help with alignment and correct ball joint angle.

If you are going be adding a lot of weight i.e. bumpers, winch, extras batteries, rack, and gear, look into an option that provides heavier springs front and back.

Be sure to search wheel and tire fitment for proper wheel offset and tire sizes to avoid tires rubbing.

Any suspension advertised as 2" will work. Is it a bigger tire you desire or plans to do something more.

If you wish only to remove the rake, the difference between front and back a leveling kit will work. In this choose one in aluminum with thread in studs. Welded metal uses threaded inserts prone to spin out when strut maintenance is required.

Next level, there are front strut replacement lifts with a small rear lift block in the 2.5-3" range that work well and won't set you back to bad. They will use the upper spring and component from your OE strut. Choose a kit with upper A-Arm replacement to help with alignment and correct ball joint angle.

If you are going be adding a lot of weight i.e. bumpers, winch, extras batteries, rack, and gear, look into an option that provides heavier springs front and back.

Be sure to search wheel and tire fitment for proper wheel offset and tire sizes to avoid tires rubbing.
Thank you sir
Not exactly sure what you're asking. The ground clearance for a trd off road is 9.4 inches, measure from the lowest point of the underside to the ground (roughly lower frame to ground, though there are a few bolts, bars, and exhaust pieces that squeeze a hair lower).

trd pro's add an inch to that, but that's all dependent on load (full tank of gas will change it, much less stuff like gear or a truck bed full of stuff, or a cab full of people).
thank you sir

Very informative responses.
I like that.

Thank You

Grab a tape measure. Take a look. Measure a bit. Will do you good to learn your truck.

If my memory serves me right the (RAKE) I believe its called is 1"
I definitley could be wrong if someone knows for sure.
I measured it from level concrete and it was spot on when factory.
Measured to middle of fender flare.
Front was 1" Lower than rear.

If my memory serves me right the (RAKE) I believe its called is 1"
I definitley could be wrong if someone knows for sure.
I measured it from level concrete and it was spot on when factory.
Measured to middle of fender flare.
Front was 1" Lower than rear.
Thank you sir

Tacoma "leveling" kits are generally 2".

Back