• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension Recommendations

YotaCampingPDX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
White
Hey guys, I need some help as I'm looking to upgrade my suspension next and haven't done this before. My daily driver is a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport - DBCB long bed.

I currently have a bed rack with a RTT and a fully loaded bed with equipment and camping essentials when fully loaded. I also hitch a boat to this setup and that boat weighs just over 2000lbs. I plan to do some light overlanding, forest service road exploration, sand, snow, trails, etc. No rock crawling (though sliders will be in my future).

Any recommendations on Suspension Kits? Icon? OME? Other brands?

This is my every day driver, so still really important that I have a smooth, quiet, stable ride. Thank you in advance!
Dipped.jpg

For the rear I am a big fan of the Icon RXT setup. I think it would work out great for your bed rack and RTT. Front, you could go Icon/Fox/King and be happy with any of them.

I ran the OME yellow with Dakar leafs and now run ICON's stage something with non adjustable resis.

The OME I ran are OME90000 firm ride struts, with the OME 886X coils in front and Dakar in the rear - http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/st...mu_Kit_w/_Dakar_Leaf_Pack_-_2016__Tacoma.html

The ICON's I run now are basically the 2.5” Extended travel coilover with resi in the front and 2.0 with resi in the rear. Kept the dakar leafs.
Basically these with no add-a-leaf and UCA's - http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/st...3004_with_Delta_Joint_Upper_Control_Arms.html

Honestly the OME's were fine and actually rode very nice. The only issue I ever had with them is that they would start to fade after running down a beach or a dirt road for an extended time - 2-3 hours. they would just get very hot. The ICON's seem to handle the high speed dirt/sand a little better. For the rear I strongly recommend the full Dakar leafs set and some good bump stops.

For the rear and what you do, definitely go with the Dakar heavy duty leaf pack set. My rear sits nice and high like this and would handle all your extra weight well. I currently have Bilstein 5100 shocks with it.
EFABC586-469D-4899-930E-C3C3CE7B0137.jpeg

You really can't go wrong going icons or kings. I have an icon set up on my truck and also had one on my last tacoma. For an all around best bang for the buck would be an icon stage 4 which should give you everything you want in a suspension set up

You really can't go wrong going icons or kings. I have an icon set up on my truck and also had one on my last tacoma. For an all around best bang for the buck would be an icon stage 4 which should give you everything you want in a suspension set up

Where is the best buy on a icon stage 4. I 'm in Ky

Back