• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Storage solutions

jeepnik

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2020 Sport DCSB Auto
Voodoo Blue
So I started a thread on tools to make life easier. But having the tools means you also need to store them.
I have two Swingcases and have handtools and an impact in one, straps and such in the other. I have room left over. The nice thing about these is they keep the bed between the fenderwells and from front to rear clear. They also work with my Paragon bed cover which most cross boxes will not.
My electric jack fit nicely into the larger under rear seat compartment. As I mentioned in another thread the jump box fits behind the drivers rear seat.

Other smaller items are spread out in the various onboard compartments.

The one thing I don't have a good home for is my first aid kit. In an earlier life I was a paramedic and as such I carry a pretty extensive kit. Not sure what is worse needing something and not having it or having something and not being competent in it's use. If anyone has suggestions please speak up.

I am with a Fire Dept. in Florida.
On the Rescue and Engine we have kits which are a backpack tucked in a compartment.
I carry a backpack for my position's basic needs, if I ride in a different vehicle it goes with me.

I know you are looking for a compartment answer,
But a backpack that sits next to or behind you that can be a grab and go is best.
It is accessible fast and will never be misplaced or blocked-buried by other gear as it is right there where you need it.

As you know life is all about time, short seconds count into very long minutes.
Think of it as a seat belted passenger that always rides with you or a footrest for your short-legged backseat rider.

I've used backpacks in the past. However, out here unless they can be out of sight they pretty much mean your truck will be broken into. Currently I have a rectangular bag with a single shoulder strap. I'm looking for an idea for securing it out of sight in the cab. I know, not alot of room but someone smarter than me may have come up with an idea.

Is it just the FAK bag you are looking to store? Is there more stuff?
Do you utilize the underseat compartments or the space behind the driver side rear passenger seat? How large and thick is the bag?

Do you often have passengers in the rear?

Because space is limited in the Tacoma compared to my earlier Tundras, I carry this. It's very slow to inflate tires, but it's only used in emergency. For regular airing up on my Jeep I have onboard air (for lockers also). It wil also charge USB stuff.It fits nicely behind the driverside rear seat.
pKi9Oxt.jpg

Ah. If you have room in the Swingcases, how about relocating this there?
Are there temperature sensitive things inside the FAK?

So I started a thread on tools to make life easier. But having the tools means you also need to store them.
I have two Swingcases and have handtools and an impact in one, straps and such in the other. I have room left over. The nice thing about these is they keep the bed between the fenderwells and from front to rear clear. They also work with my Paragon bed cover which most cross boxes will not.
My electric jack fit nicely into the larger under rear seat compartment. As I mentioned in another thread the jump box fits behind the drivers rear seat.

Other smaller items are spread out in the various onboard compartments.

The one thing I don't have a good home for is my first aid kit. In an earlier life I was a paramedic and as such I carry a pretty extensive kit. Not sure what is worse needing something and not having it or having something and not being competent in it's use. If anyone has suggestions please speak up.
i keep my first aid stuff in 2 molle packs hanging behind the driver seat from the headrest rods. 1 is general first aid and the other is trauma stuff. mylar blankets, fire starter, protein bars, and other stuck on the highway stuff on the passenger side. a ton of stuff packed like a puzzle under and behind the rear seats. tools in back in a low tote between the fender wells. console and my door pocket seem to collect spare mags and ammo.

Back