• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Stock Skid Plates

Teton Taco

4️⃣ Gold
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought about welding thicker plate steel on the stock skid plates? Besides strengthening the mounting holes what else would nee to be done?

Good idea
I think the mounting bolts would be ok if you didn’t go too crazy

it would be easier to buy some aftermarket skid plates

Anyone ever thought about welding thicker plate steel on the stock skid plates? Besides strengthening the mounting holes what else would nee to be done?
I assume you don’t mean for the Pro skid plate because that one is already beefy. You mean for the crappy non-Pro stock plate, right?

It would start to get thick and therefore lower to the ground causing you to lose clearance. And that is in addition to the effort it would take to beef up the mounting of the stock plate. It sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.

Back