• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Stock radio issues

Toytaco_trd18

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Anybody have issues with their stock radio. 2018 Tacoma and this damn radio pisses me off. It randomly goes into live mode all the time and the music disappears until I hit the volume button and than the radio randomly starts scanning through channels. Anybody had this happen?

haven't heard of that one before. maybe check if the dealer can do a system update for it

Upvote 0

I have no idea. Music turns off and the screen says live mode and i have to hit the volume button for the music to come back on.

Upvote 0
Do you have your phones bluetooth connected to the truck?

Upvote 0
Yeah my Bluetooth is always connected to my phone and it started when I bought the truck brand new last April
Have you tried having all phones disconnected from the radio and I mean full delete from the memory

Upvote 0
Did anything aftermarket come with your truck when you purchased or have you installed something right at purchase , didnyou truck happan to be a floor model

Upvote 0
Nothing aftermarket and everything is still stock and was not on the floor. Gonna get a picture of it when it comes back on or when it randomly starts scanning channels

Upvote 0
Yes I have an iPhone
Seems to be a common thing, eith overall radio issues ,

I would ask your dealership if there close and see if there is a "FIRMWARE" update for the head unit , I'll try and check on my computer at work tomorrow ( I dont work for toyota but have access to TSB and info)

Upvote 0
Alright thank. See if I can get a picture of it when it comes on again
And if you can next time your in the truck can you
Check your settings and very buttom there should be some tab for info or version or somthing sorry can remember but it should list your current software version and current firmware version
I'll need the firmware number plz

Upvote 0
@ShikyoX looks to be on the right path.

Just to add a few questions: Did you buy your truck new or used and when did the radio start doing this?

Upvote 0
And if you can next time your in the truck can you
Check your settings and very buttom there should be some tab for info or version or somthing sorry can remember but it should list your current software version and current firmware version
I'll need the firmware number plz

Attachments

• 4EE5B7F6-7EE8-435B-90DD-F0596ED4399E.jpeg
    4EE5B7F6-7EE8-435B-90DD-F0596ED4399E.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
So close Haha checknuder software update and the number I seek might be there:LOL:sorry to be a bother

Upvote 0
I never had an issue with it but I swapped it for an Alpine unit to have Apple Carplay. $450 ish from crutchfield

Upvote 0
Anybody have issues with their stock radio. 2018 Tacoma and this damn radio pisses me off. It randomly goes into live mode all the time and the music disappears until I hit the volume button and than the radio randomly starts scanning through channels. Anybody had this happen?
I am also having issues with my 2018 radio somewhat similar to yours. About a year after I purchased the truck my radio would randomly turn off, when I had my phone connected via Bluetooth, and go through the restart process like when your turn the truck on. It then reconnects to the phone and 5 or so minutes later does the same thing all over forever and ever. I have tried disconnecting the phone and repairing them all over from scratch and the problem remains. Service tech at the dealership said it’s because my phone is too new (iPhoneX running iOS 13.3.1). I find it hard to believe that everyone with a Toyota can’t use their Bluetooth, but maybe I’m wrong. Were you able to resolve your issue?

Upvote 0
I am also having issues with my 2018 radio somewhat similar to yours. About a year after I purchased the truck my radio would randomly turn off, when I had my phone connected via Bluetooth, and go through the restart process like when your turn the truck on. It then reconnects to the phone and 5 or so minutes later does the same thing all over forever and ever. I have tried disconnecting the phone and repairing them all over from scratch and the problem remains. Service tech at the dealership said it’s because my phone is too new (iPhoneX running iOS 13.3.1). I find it hard to believe that everyone with a Toyota can’t use their Bluetooth, but maybe I’m wrong. Were you able to resolve your issue?
Its and issue with iPhones new update and the entune there is a recent TSB update for this very issue , its known but apple changed shit and its messing with a few cars

Upvote 0
Back