• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Still torn between KO2s and KM3s

DWhite750

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Auto
White
Picture from Central Texas. I'm torn between the two tires of BFg Ko2s and the KM3. Daily driver here in Texas and mostly easy terrain( rains alot here in Texas)., but may be moving to Colorado in the next year.
1. K02- great all around tired
2. Ko2 should get better mileage out of them????
3. K02 Quieter ??????
4. Ko2 Better for ice and Snow??
5. KM3 look really good
6. KM3 better for the muddy terrain

Will be going to 285/75/16 Currently have a Revtec spacer and add aleaf in the back.

1576009989509.png

I’d go for looks over performance. ;)

I love my KM3's, they were quiet at first and now after 20K miles theyre just starting to get loud. They really suck on ice (just slid into a ditch last weekend)...but the performance off-road is amazing. Ill definitely be buying another set once Im through with these.

If your looking for mostly wet/icy/hard packed snow conditions I would strongly consider the K02's instead

The K02 will perform better on the street and in wet or snowy/icey conditions. They should also last longer.

KM3 will do better offroad. Not just better in mud, but dirt trails, on rocks, etc.

Easy answe
-
--
--->Falken wildpeaks...

I've had both on my truck and love them both but as far as looks and off-road performance, the KM3 are obviously better. I'm not sure about gas mileage difference or ice. Noise, they were both kind of loud to me but I don't notice it/care. Here are some comparisons on looks:

canvas3.png
canvas2.png
canvas1.png
canvas.png

For me Ko2's all day. I live out in the woods in my taco full time, and am constantly on backroads/trails but I still cant justify a mud terrain tire. Ill be getting my second set of Ko2's here soon. Jack of all trades, master of none!

I'm new to the game.. what is the average mileage that can be attained with KO2s for just regular street driving? Thinking of getting it once my OEMs run past their time.

I'm new to the game.. what is the average mileage that can be attained with KO2s for just regular street driving? Thinking of getting it once my OEMs run past their time.
What size KO2? You might be looking at around 15mpg.

wow I never knew our trucks could average that high of mileage at all! I don't think I drive mine hard and my trip computer typically shows between 17-20mpg with mixed driving. I would probably get the stock size.

wow I never knew our trucks could average that high of mileage at all! I don't think I drive mine hard and my trip computer typically shows between 17-20mpg with mixed driving. I would probably get the stock size.
With the stock size and KO2s, those are probably the numbers you would continue to see.

Stock tires have never seen that number

The roads I drive are generally flat rpms are usually around 1000 to 1200 when driving which is about 35 to 40mph I try to reset computer once a week those are my best #s remember optimal conditions lol....

I'm like a little girl when I drive my baby lol... my wife on the other hand thinks shes a badass ... she dosen't consider mpg at all. Drive it like she stole it.

I'm like a little girl when I drive my baby lol... my wife on the other hand thinks shes a badass ... she dosen't consider mpg at all. Drive it like she stole it.
That’s me. And my wife drives like you.

How much of a drop should I expect going to 35x12.5 KO2s?
With 35s it will probably be 10-15mpg depending on if you regear the truck, have OVTune, and how you drive. But you will probably be flucuating within those numbers with that tire size.

With 35s it will probably be 10-15mpg depending on if you regear the truck, have OVTune, and how you drive. But you will probably be flucuating within those numbers with that tire size.
I'm planning on regearing here soon. Does it help enough to be worth it?
Dumb question: What's OVTune..?

Yes regearing will help on and off road
Ovtune is a software that flash a new tune for the tacoma to run its fuel air setups shift points etc
It will greatly increase performance and mileage

When you move up to 35" tires, regearing to 5.29s will slightly improve your fuel mileage and make the truck "feel" better while driving. Acceleration, shifting, RPMs, going up hills, will all perform better. Without the regear on 35" tires, the truck will be running at high RPMs the whole time and feel like it is struggling to move.

OVTune is an electronic flash of your ECM. https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/ovtune-products/products/toyota-tacoma-2grfks-calibration
OVTune is very different from regearing, but will significantly improve all of the things I listed above for both stock tire sizes and larger tire sizes. I have done both, and in my opinion, OVTune actually makes more of a noticeable difference than regearing did. For 35" tires, I would suggest having both. If you can't afford both, although I said I noticed the improvements from the tune more, I would suggest doing the gears first. The gears are mechanical so you want to make sure your truck can "handle" the strain you are giving it with the big tires. The tune is just changing the software of your truck to improve things, so your truck won't mind if you do that later on.

Back