• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steering Wheel Vibration After Lift

gbaby720

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Hello,
Recently got 2.5” lift installed, with CMC and 285/75/16 KO2’s.
At speeds of around 65-75mph I experience vibration, almost shaking of the steering wheel. I am thinking it could
Be the alignment, but also maybe bad tire balance. I have attached my alignment specs to get others opinions on the numbers. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1703FC39-F3A2-46CE-8977-095B8F2DC233.jpeg
    1703FC39-F3A2-46CE-8977-095B8F2DC233.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 150
Hello,
Recently got 2.5” lift installed, with CMC and 285/75/16 KO2’s.
At speeds of around 65-75mph I experience vibration, almost shaking of the steering wheel. I am thinking it could
Be the alignment, but also maybe bad tire balance. I have attached my alignment specs to get others opinions on the numbers. Thanks!
did you drop your drive shaft?

Upvote 0
Continuous vibration Id start with the wheel balance.

Rhythmic pulsing vibration is usually a needle bearing.

Upvote 0
Continuous vibration Id start with the wheel balance.

Rhythmic pulsing vibration is usually a needle bearing.
Thank you. It doesn’t feel rhythmic, almost as if I can only see/feel it in the steering wheel, but no where else in the truck.

Upvote 0
These vibs can be hard to diagnose. I lost wheel weights on my st maxx during an offroad trip. It was vibrating so bad i thought the passenger seat was going to come loose on the highway.

If its a needle bearing the vibration should go away while driving with 4x4 engaged.

Upvote 0
These vibs can be hard to diagnose. I lost wheel weights on my st maxx during an offroad trip. It was vibrating so bad i thought the passenger seat was going to come loose on the highway.

If its a needle bearing the vibration should go away while driving with 4x4 engaged.
Thank you. I am going to get the wheels checked first, and the. Possibly see how it drives without the carrier beating drop in.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I am going to get the wheels checked first, and the. Possibly see how it drives without the carrier beating drop in.
The suggestions in this thread are correct. I don't think it would fix from taking out the carrier bearing drop though. So maybe don't bother with that until after your wheel balance/alignment/needle bearing 4x4 test.

Upvote 0
Definitely have the tires static balanced. I had mine done KO2s and had a lot of steering vibes. Talked to the shop and they said they would static balance the tires and see what happens. To this day (5k miles) on these tires, they are fine. Much like when I bought the truck new.

Upvote 0
Definitely have the tires static balanced. I had mine done KO2s and had a lot of steering vibes. Talked to the shop and they said they would static balance the tires and see what happens. To this day (5k miles) on these tires, they are fine. Much like when I bought the truck new.
Yup. I get a little vibration and a wiggly steering wheel now that I have 35s and never got the wheels balanced. I know it just needs to be balanced it sounds like this would work for OP as well.

Upvote 0
Yup. I get a little vibration and a wiggly steering wheel now that I have 35s and never got the wheels balanced. I know it just needs to be balanced it sounds like this would work for OP as well.

It made a huge difference!

Upvote 0
Thanks y’all. I recently got KO2’s and didn’t go up or down in tire size for the stock rim, still super new to everything. But now I can see that it’s not uncommon to have these problems.

Upvote 0
Back