• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Steering wheel shift over bumps, clunking noise

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I'm out right now so I can't properly inspect this, but this is a bit concerning.

My steering wheel naturally sits at 11:00 while driving straight. The alignment of the truck is verified to be good, so I think that's a steering wheel adjustment issue. @Tacomadad18 made a video about that.

But today, occasionally while hitting medium sized bumps, I'll get a clunk and the steering wheel will move all the way to 2:00. Driving more sometimes makes it go back to 11:00. I did a quick inspection in a parking lot and nothing seems loose, able to wiggle, broken, bent, etc. Rubber boots are in good shape and ball joints seem to have decent life left.

Any quick ideas what causes this? Could this end up deadly?

I'm out right now so I can't properly inspect this, but this is a bit concerning.

My steering wheel naturally sits at 11:00 while driving straight. The alignment of the truck is verified to be good, so I think that's a steering wheel adjustment issue. @Tacomadad18 made a video about that.

But today, occasionally while hitting medium sized bumps, I'll get a clunk and the steering wheel will move all the way to 2:00. Driving more sometimes makes it go back to 11:00. I did a quick inspection in a parking lot and nothing seems loose, able to wiggle, broken, bent, etc. Rubber boots are in good shape and ball joints seem to have decent life left.

Any quick ideas what causes this? Could this end up deadly?
Thanks for posting I have had the same issue recently.......next week dropping in a Tundra rack and pinion and a few other items to upgrade steering and brakes!

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting I have had the same issue recently.......next week dropping in a Tundra rack and pinion and a few other items to upgrade steering and brakes!
How hard was it to find someone to machine down the ends? I know a few guys have said they've had issues getting someone to do it.

Upvote 0
How hard was it to find someone to machine down the ends? I know a few guys have said they've had issues getting someone to do it.
I ended up calling Solo Motorsports. There about to increase there price due to the cores are getting more expensive. Alignment and steering get knocked off too often to ignore the issue.
DE162555-971F-47FB-8F32-26358596ACC7.jpeg
54DE9282-936A-4554-819D-76725A09F8CA.jpeg
DCB03D63-EDC9-4FFD-A5C2-25EC564804ED.jpeg

Upvote 0
I ended up calling Solo Motorsports. There about to increase there price due to the cores are getting more expensive. Alignment and steering get knocked off too often to ignore the issue.
So this is an upgrade to our issue?

Upvote 0
So this is an upgrade to our issue?
An upgrade to the limited steering once we go any larger tires then stock so yes. I am still in the process of learning however 37s are the goal without stressing other components out or rubbing. The ultimate upgrade will be portal axels but there spendy!!!

Upvote 0
Nice already machined down. Sucks because it is a lot of changing to still have only a marginally better stock rack. The hydro assist setups added to a steering rack is the way to go, if not going full hydro IMHO. And not terrible to fab up. Just a pain to fit.

Upvote 0
Do you have the link to it? How much?

You expect it to fit well? You expect it to really hold up with abusive wheeling?

Upvote 0
Do you have the link to it? How much?

You expect it to fit well? You expect it to really hold up with abusive wheeling?
Here is the link to there website

https://solomotorsports.com/

They will answer any questions you have about suspensions and steering. As far as install it shoul fit fine, will know in next couple days. Cost for rack n pinion was $1500 so not cheap! I hope it will be worth it! All the feedback I have gathered says what I ordered holds up to aggressive wheeling, however I still agree with WarFab that Hydro is the way to go if your serious about off-roading!

Upvote 0
Here is the link to there website

https://solomotorsports.com/

They will answer any questions you have about suspensions and steering. As far as install it shoul fit fine, will know in next couple days. Cost for rack n pinion was $1500 so not cheap! I hope it will be worth it! All the feedback I have gathered says what I ordered holds up to aggressive wheeling, however I still agree with WarFab that Hydro is the way to go if your serious about off-roading!
Doesn't the solo rack still require cutting out the factory and welding in the tundra rack mounts?

Upvote 0
Doesn't the solo rack still require cutting out the factory and welding in the tundra rack mounts?
From my understanding yes. I have a buddy going to start install tomorrow at https://www.extremeautoworksinc.com/

I trust them with my truck! May rub the firewall this week as well to allow for clearance of 37s along with Stop Tech brakes front and rear......lots of changes coming.......have 4 weeks to get ready for a big trip!

Upvote 0
Do you guys know if there is a less in depth upgrade that I can temporarily use? Or should I just order OEM?

Upvote 0
Do you guys know if there is a less in depth upgrade that I can temporarily use? Or should I just order OEM?
Upgrade for steering rack? The tundra rack is the "simplest" setup. Theres a lot to it, basikbiker was selling pre machined setups for cheaper than solo, but not sure if they are still doing that. Hes been real rough on his.
Only other upgrade options are full hydro, which is about same work load as the tundra rack realistically.
hydro assist, which there isnt really a production model of that yet. Would basically be a custom fab, or paying someone custom fab prices, I think this is the most work option out of everything, just because of fit and finish, and getting hydro assist to work with the rack setup.
Swingset. Ok, swingset is the most work, for sure, but no one is going to do a swing set assembly that isnt doing a completely ridiculous build. Its a TON of work to get it setup correctly.

If you dont have the poly bushings in the rack, then I would start there. Those "cure" most symptoms folks have and dislike.

Upvote 0
Upgrade for steering rack? The tundra rack is the "simplest" setup. Theres a lot to it, basikbiker was selling pre machined setups for cheaper than solo, but not sure if they are still doing that. Hes been real rough on his.
Only other upgrade options are full hydro, which is about same work load as the tundra rack realistically.
hydro assist, which there isnt really a production model of that yet. Would basically be a custom fab, or paying someone custom fab prices, I think this is the most work option out of everything, just because of fit and finish, and getting hydro assist to work with the rack setup.
Swingset. Ok, swingset is the most work, for sure, but no one is going to do a swing set assembly that isnt doing a completely ridiculous build. Its a TON of work to get it setup correctly.

If you dont have the poly bushings in the rack, then I would start there. Those "cure" most symptoms folks have and dislike.
Can hydro be done in addition to the Tundra rack? To really need it up!

Always appreciate your feedback and expertise on theses subjects! You my friend are Tacoma3gs Most Valuable Player! When does school begin?

Upvote 0

For now, just something to fix my issue in the OP of this thread. Sounds like I need to steering rack bushings. You said the poly mount upgrade is a great place to start, so I’ll just do that. I expect anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 miles driven during my road life (bring generous). After that, I want to ditch the whole IFS system anyway.

Got a link to the poly bushing upgrade?

Upvote 0
Can hydro be done in addition to the Tundra rack? To really need it up!

Always appreciate your feedback and expertise on theses subjects! You my friend are Tacoma3gs Most Valuable Player! When does school begin?

Im not sure ability with the additional size of the tundra rack, id have to look. Otherwise, off top of my head, it could be positioned somehwere in front of the x member and be guarded by the skid, but that would take some modifying to the xmember to allow to fit. But to be honest, i just dont know about the available room after the tundra swap. It gets tight in there. Basically its just the addition of a single ended ram, attached to inner tie rod mount, that also pushes and pull the steering shaft in assistance with the rack. Sort of a hydro assist steering rack setup. Wouldnt need a super big ram, but getting the correct amount of throw and limiting travel to prevent unintentional damage to rack or TRE would be the hard part and take the most focus.

Ha, thanks man, I just have a lot of useless crap floating around that doesnt make much sense to anyone unless they happen to be looking for it. Just talk to a lot of different builders for different applications and see what works or could work or just research old builds that have long been forgotten. Lots of cool stuff never makes it main stream. Just have to look for it.

For now, just something to fix my issue in the OP of this thread. Sounds like I need to steering rack bushings. You said the poly mount upgrade is a great place to start, so I’ll just do that. I expect anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 miles driven during my road life (bring generous). After that, I want to ditch the whole IFS system anyway.

Got a link to the poly bushing upgrade?
The poly bushings are a great upgrade. Really the factory rubber ones are a lot like the factory body mounts, they separate and really turn to shit, allowing all sorts of movement and makes it seem like something else is an issue or broken but really it is just play in the bushing. Heres a video where you can see how trashed our rack and UCA bushings were.

The bushing kit is Energy suspension but can be purchased through wheelers or amazon,or whatever
05+ Tacoma Steering Rack bushing kit. (Wheelers offroad, P/N:810106G)
That P/N actually is the energy suspension number. Its the same for second and 3rd gen. Lots of info.

Upvote 0
Im not sure ability with the additional size of the tundra rack, id have to look. Otherwise, off top of my head, it could be positioned somehwere in front of the x member and be guarded by the skid, but that would take some modifying to the xmember to allow to fit. But to be honest, i just dont know about the available room after the tundra swap. It gets tight in there. Basically its just the addition of a single ended ram, attached to inner tie rod mount, that also pushes and pull the steering shaft in assistance with the rack. Sort of a hydro assist steering rack setup. Wouldnt need a super big ram, but getting the correct amount of throw and limiting travel to prevent unintentional damage to rack or TRE would be the hard part and take the most focus.

Ha, thanks man, I just have a lot of useless crap floating around that doesnt make much sense to anyone unless they happen to be looking for it. Just talk to a lot of different builders for different applications and see what works or could work or just research old builds that have long been forgotten. Lots of cool stuff never makes it main stream. Just have to look for it.

The poly bushings are a great upgrade. Really the factory rubber ones are a lot like the factory body mounts, they separate and really turn to shit, allowing all sorts of movement and makes it seem like something else is an issue or broken but really it is just play in the bushing. Heres a video where you can see how trashed our rack and UCA bushings were.

The bushing kit is Energy suspension but can be purchased through wheelers or amazon,or whatever
05+ Tacoma Steering Rack bushing kit. (Wheelers offroad, P/N:810106G)
That P/N actually is the energy suspension number. Its the same for second and 3rd gen. Lots of info.
Thank you. That info and video is perfect.

Upvote 0
Between needing to do this and both diff seals, I’ll make two videos out of it once the parts come in.

Upvote 0
Between needing to do this and both diff seals, I’ll make two videos out of it once the parts come in.
Please do.....I can only speak for myself however I have heard of no complaints......love your videos! YouTube is a very competitive market to do well in, just as long as your having fun with it continue on my friend!!!

Upvote 0
Back