• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Spring Rate and Length help

3cent.Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Pro DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Need some feedback here.

I got my suspension installed onto my truck and because of an unforeseen foobar, which I may detail later, I can't get enough front end lift on my truck because I have the wrong springs. Long story short, my dilemma stands at getting a 14" 600 lb spring or going to a 650 lb spring at a length I'm unsure of. I currently have the Fox 2.5 with the stock springs from Fox, I think they are 13" 600 lb springs.

My truck has a front bumper, front skid plate, aux battery, and a winch and I'm trying to achieve about 2.5" of lift in the front. Let me know if I need to drop any more information.

I also have Fox 2.5s up front. I recently added a hybrid front bumper (no winch) and was worried I’d have too much rake since I already have more preload than is probably ideal. I have front skid, sliders, LCA skids, roof rack w/ 40” lightbar and now a 100lb bumper. I have the HD Dakar leaf pack in the rear with a camper shell and a DIY sleeping platform / drawer system.

I called Eibach and their advice was to size up the coils in the following order as needed:
-13” 600lbs (stock on Fox 2.5s)
-14” 600lbs
-14” 650lbs
-14” 700lbs

I ended up deciding to keep the stock coils for now, although if I add more weight I’ll re-evaluate.

In your case I think it would probably make sense to upgrade the coils to a 14”, although I’m not sure whether you’d want 600 or 650s. If it were me I’d probably lean on the softer side although you may want to give Eibach a call.

Last edited:
I also have Fox 2.5s up front. I recently added a hybrid front bumper (no winch) and was worried I’d have too much rake since I already have more preload than is probably ideal. I have front skid, sliders, LCA skids, roof rack w/ 40” lightbar and now a 100lb bumper. I have the HD Dakar leaf pack in the rear with a camper shell and a DIY sleeping platform / drawer system.

I called Eibach and their advice was to size up the coils in the following order as needed:
-13” 600lbs (stock on Fox 2.5s)
-14” 600lbs
-14” 650lbs
-14” 700lbs

I ended up deciding to keep the stock coils for now, although if I add more weight I’ll re-evaluate.

In your case I think it would probably make sense to upgrade the coils to a 14”, although I’m not sure whether you’d want 600 or 650s. If it were me I’d probably lean on the softer side although you may want to give Eibach a call.

So, I ended up getting a 14" 600 lb coil. That's what should have been sent to me in the first place. I'm not sure why or how my set up got sent to me incorrectly - I'm still trying to figure that part out. Anyway, they said the 14" 600 lb will give me a softer ride since my truck is my daily driver 90% of the time. I'm hoping I can get enough lift with these. Thanks for you feed back!

So just an informational question--- what is stock length and spring rating?

I was curious on the factory stock springs

How much lift did you get out of the 14" coils? I'm looking to run the same thing and hopefully get 3" of lift with the recommended amount of preload.

How much lift did you get out of the 14" coils? I'm looking to run the same thing and hopefully get 3" of lift with the recommended amount of preload.
I didn't measure the pre-load or anything like that. My shop took care of doing the switch for me and setting it. They did achieve about 2.5" in the front with all the weight I had on the truck and I'm satisfied with the ride height and feel.

Back