• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SPC UCA, position D

CBrob

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Gonna install the new UCA and want to confirm that position D is a good place to start with the adjustments.
Anyone able to confirm?

Attachments

• 16024284366023359047270797786009.jpg
    16024284366023359047270797786009.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 431
Are you lifted? How high roughly? What size tire? Any can mount chop?

Position D will get your roughly what just about every other non adjustable aftermarket UCA will. If you need more keep going.

I'll be installing these along with a 2.5-in lift from eibach. 32-in tires. no rubbing issues yet.
nothing cut or chopped.

So just my .02, position D will likely get you to where you'll likely rub when you flex offroad. You likely won't rub much if at all on the street, but you might. +2 is still pretty low on the spread but it is also not a bad place to start. If you have an unlimited alignment it is a good place to start. If you have to pay for every alignment I might start a bit higher, maybe C for example. After all, the entire reason you get SPC arms is so that you can achieve numbers higher than D.

I've got to pay for every alignment, and it's s waiting list for the local shop.
Moving to C, while increasing caster also moves the tire closer to the body mount? Right?

No. Moving it to position C would move it further forward away from the cab mount. Thus giving you more clearance.

I went with D, and center on the SPC for camber.
Saving the rear suspension for another day.
Now to wait my turn for an alignment.

Would an off road shop be able to adjust that as part of the allignment? I know 4WP here in Reno does alignments.

Would an off road shop be able to adjust that as part of the allignment? I know 4WP here in Reno does alignments.

Yeah they would, but I'm not sure I'd trust them with it. It is pretty simple to adjust yourself, but you do need a large breaker bar and torque wrench.

Yeah they would, but I'm not sure I'd trust them with it. It is pretty simple to adjust yourself, but you do need a large breaker bar and torque wrench.
Shit, I don't trust 4WP with anything. The once told my ball joints were still good cause it's OK if they're a little loose...

Shit, I don't trust 4WP with anything. The once told my ball joints were still good cause it's OK if they're a little loose...

☝️ and that's what I'm talking about. 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

No. Moving it to position C would move it further forward away from the cab mount. Thus giving you more clearance.

I think this is backwards.
The nut is the stationary part, the ball joint is under the curved tab.
Moving to E moves the ball joint forward.

Just moved to position E, and adjusted camber to zero. Adjusted using angle app.
Figured I'd go ahead and make room for 33s in the future.
I'll report back on how it tracks on the road at 60mph

Attachments

• PXL_20201014_191931027.jpg
    PXL_20201014_191931027.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 327
  • PXL_20201014_191941090.jpg
    PXL_20201014_191941090.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 244
FYI.
It's easy to make adjustments to the upper control arm even with the tire on. I jacked up the front to mostly unweight the tires and could wiggle around as needed

I think this is backwards.
The nut is the stationary part, the ball joint is under the curved tab.
Moving to E moves the ball joint forward.

Moving the ball joint forward effectively gives you less clearance at the cab mount. You need to try and get more positive caster. Which would be positions C, B, and A.

caster.png

Just moved to position E, and adjusted camber to zero. Adjusted using angle app.
Figured I'd go ahead and make room for 33s in the future.
I'll report back on how it tracks on the road at 60mph

Position E is 1.0° less than the factory.

Im still looking at this differently than @Mr. Nobody

Moving the UCA back
And moving the LCA forward increase caster.
Moving the UCA back decreases cab mount clearance.
Moving the LCA forward is the most effective way to gain cab mount clearance.

The settings on SPC are definitely not universally agreed upon.
Neither is the preferred caster.
I think the guys that are the most knowledgeable on alignment are going between 2 and 3 degrees caster on alignment. There are some that have over 4 degrees and love it.
When I changed from setting position D to E, I reduced caster and the steering felt lighter.
I've got a feeling that I'm pretty close to stock caster right now.
I bet it's around 2 degree.
I'm going to ask my alignment guy to get me close to 2.5

Going in for alignment today.
@Tyler what setting and alignment did you end up with?

Im still looking at this differently than @Mr. Nobody

Moving the UCA back
And moving the LCA forward increase caster.
Moving the UCA back decreases cab mount clearance.
Moving the LCA forward is the most effective way to gain cab mount clearance.

The settings on SPC are definitely not universally agreed upon.
Neither is the preferred caster.
I think the guys that are the most knowledgeable on alignment are going between 2 and 3 degrees caster on alignment. There are some that have over 4 degrees and love it.
When I changed from setting position D to E, I reduced caster and the steering felt lighter.
I've got a feeling that I'm pretty close to stock caster right now.
I bet it's around 2 degree.
I'm going to ask my alignment guy to get me close to 2.5

Going in for alignment today.
@Tyler what setting and alignment did you end up with?
Like you said, it isn't universal.

I had my truck aligned around 6 to 7 times in a row because no one could figure out how to straighten my steering wheel. The last two times were by a shop that specialize in SPC UCA trucks. He told me that he used them to move the tires forward a bit and that the D/S and P/S are not using the same settings, which is true. The steering wheel is still way off because of what I think is a separate issue.

I can take pictures for you but the way my truck is is essentially useless to anyone else.

Just got my truck back. My mechanic knows his way around SPC upper control arms
I was hoping he'd make a little more room for bigger tires, but it looks like he got my three degrees of caster out of the SPC. I'm in position C now.
Truck drives straight, the steering doesn't feel heavy at all. The steering wheel is centered. No complaints.

Attachments

• PXL_20201019_210248256.jpg
    PXL_20201019_210248256.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 329
Just got my truck back. My mechanic knows his way around SPC upper control arms
I was hoping he'd make a little more room for bigger tires, but it looks like he got my three degrees of caster out of the SPC. I'm in position C now.
Truck drives straight, the steering doesn't feel heavy at all. The steering wheel is centered. No complaints.
Awesome! That’s good news because I can’t stand how mix and match my set up is, lol.

Back