• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Spare tire rotated in -- sensors

Kev

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a matching rim for my 2019 TRD Sport, mounted the spare tire on it and purchased a sensor off eBay saying it was compatible with my make and model. Put the tire in rotation as I hit 5,000 miles, pulled the rotated 5th wheel off and put it in my garage. The spare (under the back of the truck) now is the old steel "spare" rim with another tire on it with no sensor on it. I pressed the reset button under the steering wheel before I started the engine. Well at first going down the road around 10 miles or so things appeared to be working OK. On the tire pressure screen all tires appeared to be registering, one was a little low but I planned on checking this later. 20 miles down the road the yellow tire symbol started flashing. Checking the tire pressure screen now all 4 tires readings were blank. Then the yellow tire pressure sensor went solid. I tried resetting it again after getting out of the store that I went to, started the engine then while going down the road the yellow tire light flashes again then goes to solid. The next day on the way to work I pressed the reset button again before starting the engine. When starting to go down the road the yellow light didn't come on, but when looking at the tire pressure screen all tires have no pressures only the symbole --- for each tire. What should I do. Do I need to go to an mechanic to reset the TPMS? or do I need to get another sensor on that 5th rim? Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the system is designed to only be capable of supporting 4 sensors. I could be wrong, but you may be confusing the system with the extra sensor.

Upvote 0
I just got a matching rim for my 2019 TRD Sport, mounted the spare tire on it and purchased a sensor off eBay saying it was compatible with my make and model. Put the tire in rotation as I hit 5,000 miles, pulled the odd 5th wheel off after rotating them and put it in my garage. The spare (under the back of the truck) now is the old steel "spare" rim with another tire on it with no sensor on it. I pressed the reset button under the steering wheel before I started the engine. Well at first going down the road around 10 miles or so things appeared to be working OK. On the tire pressure screen all tires appeared to be registering, one was a little low but I planned on checking this later. 20 miles down the road the yellow tire symbol started flashing. Checking the tire pressure screen now all 4 tires readings were blank. Then the yellow tire pressure sensor went solid. I tried resetting it again after getting out of the store that I went to, started the engine then while going down the road the yellow tire light flashes again then goes to solid. The next day on the way to work I pressed the reset button again before starting the engine. When starting to go down the road the yellow light didn't come on, but when looking at the tire pressure screen all tires have no pressures only the symbole --- for each tire. What should I do. Do I need to go to an mechanic to reset the TPMS? or do I need to get another sensor on that 5th rim? Thoughts? Comments?
When you say the sensor on the 5th wheel, is that the spare under the truck or the matching wheel that you put into the rotation, that you are referring to?

Upvote 0
I've had the same issues as the OP. I just now got the TPMS indicator to turn off, but now I have no TP readings. I programed my TPMS and sideloaded via my AUTEL. Everything was fine for a couple of hundred miles, until rotation.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback, I finally (with patience) got my answer this morning. The system must have finally cleared as all 4 tires are reading on the screen - it just took a few days and miles for things to level out.

Upvote 0
When you say the sensor on the 5th wheel, is that the spare under the truck or the matching wheel that you put into the rotation, that you are referring to?
no - the spare under the truck has no sensor -- the wheel I pulled off out of rotation that has a sensor, I put that wheel in my garage. The 5th wheel has the new sensor that I purchased

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no - the spare under the truck has no sensor -- the wheel I pulled off out of rotation that has a sensor, I put that wheel in my garage. The 5th wheel has the new sensor that I purchased

Upvote 0
It's back again, after getting pressure readings for all tires on Wednesday Thursday it's back to no readings. It doesn't make sense to me that one different tire pressure sensor messes up all the sensors.

Upvote 0
I've had the same issues as the OP. I just now got the TPMS indicator to turn off, but now I have no TP readings. I programed my TPMS and sideloaded via my AUTEL. Everything was fine for a couple of hundred miles, until rotation.
Did you figure out something with yours? I'm back to having issues with mine after I thought the problem was solved. one day (after about a week of not having any tire pressure readings) all the tires appeared to be reading - then next time I drove the problem returned.

Upvote 0
It's back again, after getting pressure readings for all tires on Wednesday Thursday it's back to no readings. It doesn't make sense to me that one different tire pressure sensor messes up all the sensors.
I'm really not sure either. I'd take it to Toyota or a shop if it were mine.

Upvote 0
Back