• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Spare Tire Options

CCTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCLB Auto
White
T3G Members,

I'm currently deployed, but I have sitting at my house (deployment gift to myself) an ICON Stage 4 suspension kit, 4 Icon Rebound Wheels and 4 Toyo Open Country M/T tires (285/70/17). I know that I want/need to purchase a 5th wheel (Same as above). Has anyone tried puting this size wheel/tire combo where the current spare tire exists? I really didn't want to strap it down in the bed of the truck... Any info will be appreciated.

Hey CC,

I'm in the same boat with same size tires. What I found, the FJ's "steelie" 17" rim works for a spare and has the same lug pattern. I checked measurements and discovered, yes, it will fit with some minor modifications however the spare will hang lower than an OEM spare but not by much. I haven't completed the mod yet other than purchasing a 5th Ridge Grappler and the FJ 17" rim.

I have a 285/70/17 on my 2018 DCLB on a stock TRD Sport Wheel. Like the above post reads it will just hang a little lower and you have to be a little more careful when hoisting the tire into place so it doesn't get pressed up against the tailpipe. Other than that I've been running it that way for 9 months now and havent had an issue.

T3G Members,

I'm currently deployed, but I have sitting at my house (deployment gift to myself) an ICON Stage 4 suspension kit, 4 Icon Rebound Wheels and 4 Toyo Open Country M/T tires (285/70/17). I know that I want/need to purchase a 5th wheel (Same as above). Has anyone tried puting this size wheel/tire combo where the current spare tire exists? I really didn't want to strap it down in the bed of the truck... Any info will be appreciated.

I've got a 285/70/17 Toyo ATIII under my truck right now. It fits, but it's tight for sure. You'll need to finesse (⚒) the brackets that hold the outer edges of the tire. Most likely it'll still make contact with your exhaust, but there's a heat shield plate on the exhaust right there that will help protect the tire. Or you could just hack your exhaust off right where it dumps over the axle like I did.

Back