• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Spare Tire Mount or Straps?

datmoffbry

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Got myself some 33's and also a mid height Truss system so I was thinking about putting my spare in the bed. Anyone have any experience with mounts or straps similar to N-FAB's mounts and straps? I was going to order the universal straps but does the mounted tire at an angle give me more room in my bed for storage? Doesn't seem like it does but any and all advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 120
  • images_img_NFB_Gallery-1000x700_Universal_Tire_Carrier_h500_q80.jpg
    images_img_NFB_Gallery-1000x700_Universal_Tire_Carrier_h500_q80.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 113
  • BM1TSBK.jpg
    BM1TSBK.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 136
I went with the wilco offroad flat in bed carrier. It's not yet installed on the truck yet so I don't have a review on it yet, but Wilco makes several pretty decent spare mounting options including their tiregate which is what their company was originally called / famous for. Will upload pics when I get it mounted and my full spare in the bed.

I went with the tire carrier because you can put a motorcycle lock through the pin and your wheel is pretty secure. Not sure how secure the straps are or if you can cable lock it with straps as well.

Thank you man I didn’t know you could lock your spare in those carriers! I would definitely love some security, I’m going to check it out right now @midnight20pro

@midnight20pro Wow is this it? This thing is badass! Exactly what I was looking for plus more. Love the fact that you can secure it with a lock plus the rattle-free design. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 5772A845-FC2D-4000-A8FF-E91953FCBDE0.png
    5772A845-FC2D-4000-A8FF-E91953FCBDE0.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 140
you ready to give up half your bed?? look at the tire gate, or they make a bed rail mount. these beds are smaller than everyone seems to think and the 33s take up over half the bed

@Jay Yeah I would definitely roll with the tire gate but I have a back up camera and the bed rail mounts are awesome because of how much room you save but the 33s are taller than my mid height rack and I plan on installing my tent on top of my rack next week. I’ve heard of people putting their 33s under the bed but that sounds sketch and I’d rather have that extra clearance

What size tent? And what rack?
They also make camera relocation mounts. I run one on mine because of my swing out

It’s Torro’s 4-man Skylux tent on top of upTop’s mid height TRUSS rack. Oh wow I didn’t know they made camera relocation mounts! How was the installation process? Thanks man I appreciate all this info @Jay

Skylux Specs
Open: 6'3" x 7'3"
Closed: 6'3" x 4'7"
Weight: 150 lbs
8.5ft Ladder

Last edited:
If you’re willing to spend the money, look into the rigd ultra swing. There’s a camera relocation option and it’s cheaper than the Wilco tire gate.

Thanks fellas when I get some cash saved up I’m definitely going to go with a swing and relocation kit. For now, I’m really looking for something no more than $250 only because I just dumped a pretty penny on some mods recently haha so I’ll most likely roll with the Wilco flat bed tire mount carrier and then down the line get that big boy swing @Jay @mgmyota

When I need to use the bed I can relocate the spare to a vertical mount behind the rear passenger or leave the spare at home. For offroad I don't mind running the spare in the bed like that. The tiregate looks rad but it's a pretty radical design change. I'll see how I feel about the tradeoff and how the usability is with running the spare in bed like that, but it should be alright for my use. Not sure about everybody elses. I haul mostly fishing tackle when I'm home and may do a half rack to hold rods securely back there. Otherwise it's trips to the dump and that's about the only time I would need to remove the spare from the bed. Dump is less than a mile from my house (don't judge me :D)

Figured I would link to the Wilco stuff because it took me a bit to find and fit the design I was going for more than the alternatives. Figured I'd share but to each their own for sure and this is certainly a personal preference. I need to relocate because the crosstube on the hammer hangers interferes with the spare plus new wheels and tires won't fit in the stock spare location.

Back