• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Something is running without the truck being turned on

craigwsr

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Tacoma Off Road i purchased just a month ago. The truck has less than 500 miles on it. The truck is also garage kept. Last night i went into the garage and heard something running . It sounded like a small motor. The noise emanated about mid way under the truck. I was continuous and to me sounded like the fuel pump. Nothing was on like the acc. button. this kept up until i went and started the truck and shut it off. After i did that the running noise stopped. I should mention the truck is keyless start. There are a few freaky incidents of keyless vehicles doing their own starting and running but i never heard of this. Is this a reported problem yet to Toyota? I am concerned if this happens again and overheats i could have a truck fire in my garage. So even if I report this to the dealer they can't fix something that is not a continuous problem. What should I do?

Do not worry, this is a system check that happens a few hours after shutdown. Page 8 on my owner's manual, not sure what page it is for a 2021

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201126-091536_Samsung Notes.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201126-091536_Samsung Notes.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
It's also mentioned in the owners manual. You know, the book that came with your truck explaining how it works and what it does.......

Upvote 0
It's also mentioned in the owners manual. You know, the book that came with your truck explaining how it works and what it does.......
Thanks for the heads up! It's nice to have newcomers like you to the forum who are helpful and not condescending to those who arent afraid to ask questions about their truck.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what a forum like this is designed for. Your mindset might be suited elsewhere.

Check the forum guidelines to read about ours: T3G - Tacoma3G.com: Our Mission and Forum Guidelines

A newbie question is not a stupid question. Not everyone has been doing this for years and not everyone has mechanical or DIY experience. Do not shame someone for asking a question that you believe they should already know the answer to. Use your higher level of knowledge to properly inform them. I don’t care if they’re asking why their push-to-start won’t start their truck -- just tell them that they need their foot on the brake and if that still isn't working, feel free to help them troubleshoot to the best of your ability or wait for someone else to respond.

Upvote 0
Back