• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

solar charging my battery

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
So I'm upgrading to a group 34 odyssey extreme battery. As I understand it, our stock alternators don't put out enough juice to keep these larger AGM batteries fully charged. So I started looking into solar as a way to keep it fully charged. Specifically I've been looking at the Cascadia hood mounted panel here. Would my idea of using this panel work to keep it charged and healthy?

So I'm upgrading to a group 34 odyssey extreme battery. As I understand it, our stock alternators don't put out enough juice to keep these larger AGM batteries fully charged. So I started looking into solar as a way to keep it fully charged. Specifically I've been looking at the Cascadia hood mounted panel here. Would my idea of using this panel work to keep it charged and healthy?
What are you planning on using for a solar charger?

You are correct, our alternators only put out 13.6-8, you need 14.6-8 for AGM to charge them to 100% (Ovtune can change this for stock alternator).

What are you planning on using for a solar charger?

You are correct, our alternators only put out 13.6-8, you need 14.6-8 for AGM to charge them to 100% (Ovtune can change this for stock alternator).
Cascadia has a mppt solar charge controller that’s optional. I really don’t know much about solar. Would there be a better option? Redarc makes nice stuff I’ve seen

Cascadia has a mppt solar charge controller that’s optional. I really don’t know much about solar. Would there be a better option? Redarc makes nice stuff I’ve se
I use a redarc bcdc1225 to power my aux battery (which the redarc automatically charges at 14.6-8V), which also takes in 100W of solar and charges both battiers. But I think you still need to modify your ECU even with a charge controller like from cascadia to actually get the higher voltage.

I use a redarc bcdc1225 to power my aux battery (which the redarc automatically charges at 14.6-8V), which also takes in 100W of solar and charges both battiers. But I think you still need to modify your ECU even with a charge controller like from cascadia to actually get the higher voltage.
Hmm okay. I’ve seen some people use a battery tender to keep it topped off. I wasn’t sure if solar could be used in the same manner. Then again I’m not even sure if a battery tender would work either even people are using them lol. I’ll probably just go the vf tuner route. It can help a lot more than just bump the voltage up on the alternate.

Hmm okay. I’ve seen some people use a battery tender to keep it topped off. I wasn’t sure if solar could be used in the same manner. Then again I’m not even sure if a battery tender would work either even people are using them lol. I’ll probably just go the vf tuner route. It can help a lot more than just bump the voltage up on the alternate.
I agree with you, I would start with the vftuner option since it gives you more than just alternator settings. I have the ovtune on my truck and love it! Total game changer for how the truck drives

Those hood mount solar panels came up before. I talked to some people who are deep into the scene and they liked the formfactor but were unimpressed with the output:

Those hood mount solar panels came up before. I talked to some people who are deep into the scene and they liked the formfactor but were unimpressed with the output:

Sweet, thanks for the info

Any tips on install of the BCDC? I have one that I will be installing with a 2nd battery in the bed of my truck. I see some folks who install the RK1260 Relay kit, but I am not really understanding why it is needed, any help?

Thanks.

Any tips on install of the BCDC? I have one that I will be installing with a 2nd battery in the bed of my truck. I see some folks who install the RK1260 Relay kit, but I am not really understanding why it is needed, any help?

Thanks.
Ive seen the RK1260 needed if your installing it on a trailer, shouldnt need it if your just installing it directly to your vehicle.

I really like to use these terminal fuse blocks for the REDARC system:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019ZBTV4/?tag=tacoma3g-20

And keep your wires tidy, and connections tight...otherwise its a straight forward install! I did end up drilling a small 1/4" hole in my lower dash to install the secondary LED light (I think its the green wire), which tells you if the unit is charging or not. Not needed, but nice to have

Thanks I certainly appreciate the reply. I already purchased the REDARC MIDI fuse kit, but I really like the terminal fuse blocks you posted. One less connection would be nice.

I need to order some wire to run from the starter battery to the bed and get to wiring everything up.

I did order: ANTPAK DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM DC TO DC CHARGER INSTALLATION SMART HUB FOR CTEK | eBay

I am waiting for it to be delivered from Australia. I thought it would be nice to have for easy wiring and even easier solar input connections.

You can also fix the charging rate for the AGM batteries via a Tune. Feel free to PM me and I can point you in the right direction. I am currently in the process of this my self I am running dual Odyssey Pc-1500 on a genesis off road system.

Back