• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Smoother Running Engine

djw.pro

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested is my experience. For years now I’ve been pretty anal about break-in procedure and using friction modifiers to produce a better running motor.

Anyway, not sure if you guys know about Liqui Moly. They are a German company that is very popular in the European market and becoming more and more popular here in the US. I have been using their Cera Tec product for years now in every vehicle I have owned. It’s a friction modifier that uses ceramics to bind to the metal and creates an extra layer of protection. Fantastic stuff.

Less to almost no cold start valve clatter. Usually increases MPG 2-3%. Smoother idle and overall better running motor. We all know the idle is not exactly that smooth on this truck. You can find it on Amazon, check out the 18k+ reviews. I treat my motors every 15 - 20k miles. You need 2 cans, add with your oil change. If you truck is higher mileage, flush the motor before application. LM makes a good flush or use your own. On modern engines with small oil rings on the pistons highly recommend a flush every 30k to clean out the gunk and varnish. Oil alone won’t do this.

Source: https://youtu.be/2-QLxVrvO8A?si=E0vnXWlE18wB5ivl

Source: https://youtube.com/shorts/IAOz2GEPL-Y?si=dL3fM3qtHuWA9eoI

Last edited:
I want to see actual data on the difference of a motor with and without the use of oil additives.

We need to find someone with a lot of money and has triplets.
One go through the break in period.
One use oil additives.
One go through a hard break in period.

Then see how each vehicle does after 5-7 years.

How long do you keep your vehicles? I feel like there's so many products that sound good and claim to improve things.

I've gone through the hard break in and regular. Never used additives. Never had any issues.
Both of those motors were strong and healthy.
Both ended up being the highest horsepower R6 and all motor tC.

Upvote 0
I want to see actual data on the difference of a motor with and without the use of oil additives.

We need to find someone with a lot of money and has triplets.
One go through the break in period.
One use oil additives.
One go through a hard break in period.

Then see how each vehicle does after 5-7 years.

How long do you keep your vehicles? I feel like there's so many products that sound good and claim to improve things.

I've gone through the hard break in and regular. Never used additives. Never had any issues.
Both of those motors were strong and healthy.
Both ended up being the highest horsepower R6 and all motor tC.

Cera Tec is not an oil additive per se. It’s using the oil as the delivery platform if you will for the ceramic coating in essence. Its purpose is not to change the oil properties, although there is some zddp in there as well. The ceramic coating to fill-in imperfections in the metal. This is why you get a smoother running engine. Anyway, lots of info online. Friend of mine just treated his new Tundra and he drives long distances for work, same route each day. He is seeing a 3% increase in mileage. It takes upwards about 500 - 1000 miles to realize the full benefits.

Take a min and read the reviews:
LIQUI MOLY Oil Additive Cera Tec 3721 Ceramic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CZODH8/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just thinking through it to justify if I should try it or not.

So on oil change, add 2 cans. $50-60.
After 2-3 tanks of gas, there may be a 3%ish increase in mileage?

Isn't that sort of negligible. Could be more or less. Then down to weather and drive patterns.
Maybe you guys did a little more highway driving by chance.

I'm averaging 13mpg. That's an increase of .39 miles per gallon.
235 miles per tank, 7.05 miles per tank.

It's like the cost of an extra oil change.
What mileage interval do you change your oil at? Tacoma is 10k. I know a lot of people just do it at 5k still.
Since 2 cans is .64 quarts and the truck takes 6.2 quarts. Do you only us 5.5-5.6 of oil + the Cera Tac. Assuming oil volume has a play with the motor.

Upvote 0
Just thinking through it to justify if I should try it or not.

So on oil change, add 2 cans. $50-60.
After 2-3 tanks of gas, there may be a 3%ish increase in mileage?

Isn't that sort of negligible. Could be more or less. Then down to weather and drive patterns.
Maybe you guys did a little more highway driving by chance.

I'm averaging 13mpg. That's an increase of .39 miles per gallon.
235 miles per tank, 7.05 miles per tank.

It's like the cost of an extra oil change.
What mileage interval do you change your oil at? Tacoma is 10k. I know a lot of people just do it at 5k still.
Since 2 cans is .64 quarts and the truck takes 6.2 quarts. Do you only us 5.5-5.6 of oil + the Cera Tac. Assuming oil volume has a play with the motor.

You treat every 20k miles and the main purpose of the product is to reduce wear. Particularly cold start valve train clatter. Up to 90% an engines wear comes cold starts. I plan on keeping this truck a long time. Increased mileage is a +.

Upvote 0
Back