• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Smart Key and proximity unlock

Snowytaco

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I got a 2021 Tacoma SR5. I wanted to know if it is possible to get proximity sensors installed with a smart key( both of which ,I do not have) . I have a key with push buttons (lock/unlock). As well as an after market command start(idal-astart)

Is my only option to trade in my Taco for a higher trim?

Attachments

• 20210822_200452.jpg
    20210822_200452.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 46
hmm...good question. I have a 2020 TRD Pro with every option ticked, and nothing much happens except the touch the door handle unlock/lock thing. Not sure it's worth the upgrade.

Is there something else that you've seen available? Like auto start or interior/exterior lightening with proximity?

hmm...good question. I have a 2020 TRD Pro with every option ticked, and nothing much happens except the touch the door handle unlock/lock thing. Not sure it's worth the upgrade.

Is there something else that you've seen available? Like auto start or interior/exterior lightening with proximity?am still

Don't think it's possible. The keyless entry is an upgrade Convenience Package on it's own.
For the Smart Key/Proximity Sensors, you'd have to jump to an entirely different trim. Only available on the TRD's/Limited/Pro.
It's a lot more work than just programming a key and installing the sensors. Probably an entire new harness. Programming of the ECU for conditions to start.

What is it about the Smart Key that you like?

Welcome Lights won't work since it doesn't have the Proximity Sensor and your key doesn't give off a constant signal.

Smart Key ignition, truck doesn't have the sensor to detect the key. Then swapping out the keyed ignition for a push button. For the parts and labor probably better to just trade in and wait if you want it that bad.

Last edited:
Back