• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Skid plate options with TRD front skid

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Does anyone know if the transfer case skids etc from companies are Compatible with the TRD pro front skid?

I also have the Motown offroad sliders and had to already move the brake lines. I mention that because I notice some of the cross braces require that and these sliders may interfere with them due to the frame bracing.

Thanks! So any brand would work then?

I think the only issue would be finding some compatible with my mobtown sliders because they wrap around the whole frame. For just crossbrace mounting. I thought I could get by without them but yesterday I dented my extra and everything up in there haha I got lucky.

I have the TRD pro IFS skid and RCI transmission and transfer case skid. All are 1/4" aluminum. They bolt up to the front TRD skid just fine! I just asked RCI to include longer bolts that would make it work when I ordered.

I have the TRD pro IFS skid and RCI transmission and transfer case skid. All are 1/4" aluminum. They bolt up to the front TRD skid just fine! I just asked RCI to include longer bolts that would make it work when I ordered.

Why did ya need the longer bolts? On the transfer case skid where it has the cross bracing to the frame is there a gap? Reason I ask is I have the mobtown sliders and they wrapped around my frame so I have anout 1/8 inch of steel plus some bracing to the side of my frame I was worried if these would fit up against it ok.

Why did ya need the longer bolts? On the transfer case skid where it has the cross bracing to the frame is there a gap? Reason I ask is I have the mobtown sliders and they wrapped around my frame so I have anout 1/8 inch of steel plus some bracing to the side of my frame I was worried if these would fit up against it ok.
I was worried about interference with my frame and sliders as well, but actually the transmission skid only bolts to the front skid and the crossmember so you don't really get near frame/sliders at all. Now the RCI transfer case skid is a different story as this comes with a steel crossmember that you install into your existing frame holes. This I was very worried would interfere with my sliders, but it uses 2 holes higher up on the frame that they don't use actually. (I have CaliRaised bolt on sliders). Just check the photos on RCI's website of the transfer case skid to confirm fitment of that added crossmember.

The longer bolts they send are 2 bolts and 2 spacers. On your TRD Pro skid, the 2 bolts all the way to the rear of that skid have small depressions so the bolt heads don't scrape when sliding over stuff. There's also depressions on the mounting area. Since any transmission skid will bolt up underneath the front TRD skid, you need small spacers to create a flat surface for the 2 skids to join up and mount. Now that you have spacers there, you need longer bolts. It's super simple when you do it, but hard to picture without getting under the truck.

Check out this video, it helped me visualize it a bit. He starts talking about it like 7:23 in.
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WPb_5LbkE

FYI, you don't have to take off the TRD skid when adding a transmission skid, but I did have to loosen ALL the bolts on the TRD skid quite a bit to get the transmission skid to slide up under the back of it. Not hard, just recommend loosening everything up, it makes it much easier.

Thanks for the very detailed reply! I appreciate it! This helps me a lot!

Back