• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Sirius XM

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I recently got a free 6 month subscription to Sirius XM from buying concert tickets.

My truck is a 2017 and is compatible with Sirius XM.

Once they activated it the other day they sent a signal to my trucks radio but it never would pop up.

I asked my local Toyota dealer about it and they said it would be around $65 just to possibly update the radio.

Is there any other way to update it without getting charged $65 for 10 minutes of work by these assholes?

So I recently got a free 6 month subscription to Sirius XM from buying concert tickets.

My truck is a 2017 and is compatible with Sirius XM.

Once they activated it the other day they sent a signal to my trucks radio but it never would pop up.

I asked my local Toyota dealer about it and they said it would be around $65 just to possibly update the radio.

Is there any other way to update it without getting charged $65 for 10 minutes of work by these assholes?
You shouldn’t even need to update it for this to work.

A while back I got an email from Sirius XM about this. Let me see if I can find it.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• 78072421-97A8-404F-B8DB-063FA460753F.jpeg
    78072421-97A8-404F-B8DB-063FA460753F.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
So, IMHO, I'd skip it. I found I had terrible reception anytime I was around buildings more than 3 stories tall or in canyons/near hills. Frankly, I got better service with radio. I only found a couple stations I even enjoyed. Plus once they have your information if you cancel (assuming you can) they are SUPER AGGRESSIVE with phone calls and mail about re-upping. There are much better options today. I believe the day of Sat radio has come and gone. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Yeah so I already went through that whole process on the phone yesterday with them and it didn’t work.

And I just tried it again just by using that link and it still didn’t work.

After you put in your radio ID, it tells you to choose the ‘satellite’ option on your radio but mine doesn’t show that.
Try to pull out the fuse for the radio, then power on the truck, then turn off the power and put the fuse back. I think this might soft reset the radio? Kind of like disconnecting the battery would?

Upvote 0
This is weird because even when you don’t have an XM subscription, you should still be able to use XM to listen to their trial/advertising stations.

Upvote 0
If you ever messed with the wiring (like installing the Anytime Camera), maybe the XM wire got unplugged?

Upvote 0
You can manually update your headunit and see if that helps. The tricky part is it only recognizes 16gb drives formatted in FAT32 for '19 and older. This dude compiled the firmware updates.

Upvote 0
You can manually update your headunit and see if that helps. The tricky part is it only recognizes 16gb drives formatted in FAT32 for '19 and older. This dude compiled the firmware updates.
I’m not sure if this is the same thing but apparently you can do it with the Entune app on your phone?

To update the Entune to the latest version, you’ll need a smartphone with Entune app installed and connected to your Toyota.
  1. On your phone, launch the Entune app and connect to Toyota using a USB or Bluetooth connection.
  2. An update prompt will appear. By selecting “Now” the updates will download and install automatically.
  3. Do not turn off the power until the process is completed.
From here:

Upvote 0
I’m not sure if this is the same thing but apparently you can do it with the Entune app on your phone?

To update the Entune to the latest version, you’ll need a smartphone with Entune app installed and connected to your Toyota.
  1. On your phone, launch the Entune app and connect to Toyota using a USB or Bluetooth connection.
  2. An update prompt will appear. By selecting “Now” the updates will download and install automatically.
  3. Do not turn off the power until the process is completed.
From here:
Oh, maybe. I've never used the app. Worth a try!
You can also try downloading the update from Toyota

I have the cheapy head unit and the xm option was already there. No update was needed.
Apparently Toyota's site is often horribly outdated. TIS is the best way to get them, but it's not free. That link I posted is to someone's collection of update files they downloaded from TIS so I used those when I updated mine.

Upvote 0
Back