• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Single wheel rub? WTF

hawsa

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Cement
Please confirm my suspicion... I get a touch of wheel rub (on 265/75/17 K02s - 31" roughly) when I turn hard right with forward weight ie braking, offroad downhill, or that bump turning right into my rather steep driveway. It's only my front pass wheel though. Stock ucas and suspension + leveling kit.

I'm thinking the caster got fluffed while offroading. You think that's correct? I'm not entirely sure how adjustable it is with stock arms. Oh... and it rubs the backside of the fender about even with the body height... If I took off the stock plastic mudguard it would probably not rub at all, but because the left doesn't do that at all, I think something is amok.

It sounds like your suspicion could be correct. But honestly if it's really minimal it could just be a slight variance in the mudflaps or wheel wells. Nothing is perfect and there could just be a centimeter more plastic on one side or something. That being said, if that side of the truck took a hard hit offroad it could be an alignment issue like you are thinking.

Ok update. Oddly enough tonight I went to tailgate up in salt lake city for the supercross races going on right now. Street the whole way.. developed a crunch on brake or accel. Sounds like something has some wiggle room. I'm going to jack it up in the morning and check for lose bolts and or problematic ball joints. FML

Another update... Didn't see anything myself, so I took it into my mechanic. They looked it over, checked alignment, etc... Of course, after they did nothing it stopped making any noise whatsoever.

Do the CVs ever bind up? Maybe they could make the noise and putting it on a lift let it relax again? I dont know I'm out of my league here.

Back