• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Securing your always-on off-road gear (theft protection)

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So, I live in a city filled with criminals and given enough time they will steal everything that isn't nailed down. That being said, I see a lot of Tacos and other rigs with shovels, hi-lift jacks, maxtrax, jerrycans/rotopacks, spare tires and every other thing hanging off of them 24/7. What are people doing to keep these things from wondering off? Pictures are a plus! (Note: I assume RTTs are just to heavy to steal, at least by the bike riding thieves in my town.)

BONUS POINTS: Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided Tacos don't need gas cover/cap protection...you know, like the kind that just about every other vehicle made in this century has. We had a pretty bad issue with people getting gas stolen when the price got up above $4. Those aftermarket locking gas caps are for shit. Anyone find a better solution?

People are drilling the tanks. They don't want to spend time siphoning

Also stealing Kings shocks here as well as bumpers

People are drilling the tanks. They don't want to spend time siphoning

Also stealing Kings shocks here as well as bumpers

I saw something about a stolen bumper. The criminals here still havn't figured out how to use tools so that isn't an issue yet.

For the axe/shovel mount, I bought a Warrior Products QuickLatch. I will say, they are very pricey for a latch, but it is lockable. I bought one pair for both the axe and shovel since you really only need to lock down one side, and plan on using a quick fists on the other side. I thought this is the best looking quick latch that is lockable. I haven't mounted it up yet, but when I do, I'll report back on whether a single WPQL and a quick fists is viable.

So like this: https://warriorproducts.com/quicklatch-10375-universal-accessory.html ?

Dang! You weren't kidding about being pricey!
Yes, exactly that. I have a Krazy Beaver shovel, and I really don't want to buy multiple of those, especially if the shovel hasn't gotten its full use. And for me, I'll be on pavement 90% of the time, because there really aren't that many trails or places to go that are a reasonably short drive for a weekend trip. I wanted to just keep everything on the truck without having to find a place for it in the garage.

I got mine at $125, so a bit cheaper than retail, but still pricey. Piece of mind cost, IMO.

Get a topper so that you can secure your belongings
While that would help, a topper doesn't work for everyone's needs (e.g. using the bed for truck stuff). Maybe since you have a bad problem where you live, you might consider a topper, @Rev N.

But I've always wondered about this myself. My Rotopax can be stolen off my truck in 5 seconds and I didn't bother to buy their locking mount because it is known to be useless (keyhole rusts and you can still rotate the cans off anyway). I'd like to maybe move to a jerry can mount and have them secured with a metal bracket.

As for other gear on a roof rack or bed rack, I know people DIY lockable brackets. I'm not sure if that would be enough for you as locks can obviously be cut.

Or a decked
DFF82627-7872-490E-BC9A-086F14A9E00A.jpeg

While that would help, a topper doesn't work for everyone's needs (e.g. using the bed for truck stuff). Maybe since you have a bad problem where you live, you might consider a topper, @Rev N.

But I've always wondered about this myself. My Rotopax can be stolen off my truck in 5 seconds and I didn't bother to buy their locking mount because it is known to be useless (keyhole rusts and you can still rotate the cans off anyway). I'd like to maybe move to a jerry can mount and have them secured with a metal bracket.

As for other gear on a roof rack or bed rack, I know people DIY lockable brackets. I'm not sure if that would be enough for you as locks can obviously be cut.

Yeah, keeping stuff in a canopy (which I have) will just result in people breaking into the canopy. Usually I just leave it all at home unless I'm going into the woods. I have a Yakima basket though and if I could keep everything bound to that that would be ideal. I've been looking at DIY and buy-able options. I have have access to a full metal shop though so once I find a design I like I should be able to copy it.

Yeah, keeping stuff in a canopy (which I have) will just result in people breaking into the canopy. Usually I just leave it all at home unless I'm going into the woods. I have a Yakima basket though and if I could keep everything bound to that that would be ideal. I've been looking at DIY and buy-able options. I have have access to a full metal shop though so once I find a design I like I should be able to copy it.
Would those new Pelican cargo cases that are coming out, with a lock, be enough? Not really, eh?

I am in the same boat as you! Not as much theft (that I know of) in my area, but I have Grabber spare tire mount on a F5 SCS wheel and really wanna get a chain lock opposed to a standard cable one.

A buddy has a Kryptonite lock for his mountain bike, but I haven't looked into seeing if that would work for me.

Any suggestions on locks for tire carriers?

I am in the same boat as you! Not as much theft (that I know of) in my area, but I have Grabber spare tire mount on a F5 SCS wheel and really wanna get a chain lock opposed to a standard cable one.

A buddy has a Kryptonite lock for his mountain bike, but I haven't looked into seeing if that would work for me.

Any suggestions on locks for tire carriers?
To lock the tire carrier closed or to lock the spare to the carrier?

Locking lug nuts usually work well. I don't think most thieves will put the effort into forcing them off (or maybe they do?)

I use these for my spare (I think): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5TFOQO/?tag=tacoma3g-20

The only issue with that, Is my tire mounts with a rubber cone in the center, then tightening it down. Opposed to other mounts that do use a mounting system of the lugs.

I have a feeling the comments of "using a cable lock will be sufficient", but having a chain seems extra secure.

The only issue with that, Is my tire mounts with a rubber cone in the center, then tightening it down. Opposed to other mounts that do use a mounting system of the lugs.

I have a feeling the comments of "using a cable lock will be sufficient", but having a chain seems extra secure.
Dang, I didn't know Tacoma bumpers use mounts like that. I don't think a cable is very secure to be honest. A chain would be a little harder to break, but even a chain is easy enough to cut. The chain should at least deter unprepared thieves. If they have a plan though, they might bring a saw or bolt cutters.

Back