• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Sag: How far off the bumps stops are you?

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I'm wondering what is standard for sag on a 3rd gen. Rear in particular. I just bought a 2017 DCSB TRD Off Road. It has a topper and RTT and some gear in the bed and it was sitting a little over an inch off the bump stops. The Ride was OK, but it hit the bump stops a lot.

IMG_1602.JPG

I put some Timbren Bump Stops on it with the U-Bolt Flip kit and it was basically a 1 inch lift and now it's on the Timbrens all the time.

IMG_1604.JPG

I've got the Icon Add-A Leafs coming wednesday. Those are supposed to be a 1.5 inch lift, so I'm hoping that'll get me a suspension back.

Anyone with a stock setup mind checking and sharing how far off the bump stops you are? Really like this truck, and It'll be great once I get a decent suspension under it.

-M

When I was stock (A long time ago)...I had the same issue. The stock leaf springs are crap, literal garbage, they dont hold weight well at all. The AAL helped me for a while, but the stock springs still didnt hold the weight over time. Even with the AAL I still was almost riding the bumpstops the entire time, called the taco the booby bouncer for a while :p

I would look at fully replacing the leaf pack soon especially with the topper and the RTT with ideally deavers or a heavier rated spring, thats gonna be your best fix to get your ride quality back

The stock unloaded dimension from the point of stock bump up to bump brackets is about 2.5"

The stock lift height is ~8.25" if measure from top of the axle tube to bottom of the frame rails (not bump bracket).

I bet your truck would be around 7"

The stock unloaded dimension from the point of stock bump up to bump brackets is about 2.5"

The stock lift height is ~8.25" if measure from top of the axle tube to bottom of the frame rails (not bump bracket).

I bet your truck would be around 7"

Wow. Seems like mine wasn't really that far off given the load. 2.5 inches seems like not a lot of up travel.

-M

Wow. Seems like mine wasn't really that far off given the load. 2.5 inches seems like not a lot of up travel.

-M
Yeah, I bet a Corolla has more.
Don't be afraid to get some real lift to make the rear suspension work better.

For others in this situation, you might consider the Archive Ubolt flip kit with option 3 Archive Speed bumps for soft engagement and they compress a good amount

Back