• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Running 37s because I’m dumb

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I know the stipulations of running 37s. I understand the stress it puts on the IFS. I know what I’d have to do to fit them under my truck. I know it’s a dumb idea to do this to my heavy ass truck, especially while traveling the continent.

But damn.
1593275454283.jpeg

1593275476499.jpeg

Someone stop me from committing to it anyway. Please. My wife will probably be pissed. And I’ll probably break more things than I already do. But I enjoy carelessly doing what makes me happy and being generally reckless.

I think @WarFabArmor might be the only one here who has them. @Tacomadad18 might be the only other one looking to do it.

Also, in this case, 37s would probably mean a true measurement of 35”.

Send help. I need an adult to keep me in check.

Go 37s I’ll support you.

I’m taking a trip to the lake for some needed vacay then once we get back I’ll order them. Definitely want them before I go to Windrock this fall.

I'd say don't do it just because you're planning to drive all of North and South America in the truck and you'll get about 6 miles per gallon. Ouch.

I'd say don't do it just because you're planning to drive all of North and South America in the truck and you'll get about 6 miles per gallon. Ouch.
Stopping for gas that much will suck. I already need it pretty often at ~13mpg.

Stopping for gas that much will suck. I already need it pretty often at ~13mpg.

My truck has always gotten terrible mileage. On the 285/70/17's I'm getting 12. 😒

I will be your voice of reason:

We will support it.
You will do it.
You will love it.
It will be fun.
Then you will grow tired of it.
And you will change them back.

Practicality always prevails.

I will be your voice of reason:

We will support it.
You will do it.
You will love it.
It will be fun.
Then you will grow tired of it.
And you will change them back.
You had me in the first half, but idk about changing stuff back with this truck, lol.

Dude this is the post I have been waiting for!!!! I am going from 33s straight to 37s! I have done a lot of research and built the truck up to handle them short of portal axels! (Too spendy at the moment) Question for anyone running 37s or has the desire to, what tire and wheel are you using or would?

You have my vote to do it! @WarFabArmor, @Tacomadad18, I and whoever else will need a support group, as my wife hates the relationship I have with Black-n-Tan (name of truck after my favorite beer) already! After she sees 37s on it I may be living in the cabin!

This is what I have done to prepare for 37s or plan on doing;

• Re-gear To 5.29
  • Air locker front (rear has factory E-locker)
  • High clearance bumpers front and rear (that will have to be trimmed) should have went with WarFab but discovered them after the fact
  • Full 2.5 suspension lift
  • @TOTAL CHAOS UCA and LCA as well as spindle gussets (lot of maintenance involved)
  • @ARCHIVE Hammer hangers with crossbar, shock re-locators, and U-bolt flip kit
  • Deaver Expedition 3 leaf springs
  • ADS shocks with adjustable reservoir
  • DuroBumps in front, ADS air bump stops in rear
  • 700# front springs
  • Stop Tech Big brake kit front, Stop Tech rear disc conversion
  • Method 702 17x8.5 with bead grip (awesome wheel IMO)
  • Solo Motorsports Modified Tundra rack n pinion along with steering connectors / clevis pins
  • Trim the fenders
  • Cab mount relocation
  • OVTuned
  • Tub the firewall
  • RCV Axels
The list is endless and it becomes a deep rabbit hole but well worth it! Started about 16 months ago, Will need to add supercharger and possibly a Marlin TacoBox! So sure do it!!!!! Or not, if I was in your position I would stay at 33” just for the simplistic repair if needed while traveling......but that is boring!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1u7bTkReUDhWdvDH9

Last edited:
I say don't. Not for the weight you have and traveling around. 35s are best gearing at highway speeds with 529. Can't imagine with weight. Just be patient. Save for a big build and do them once you settle down.
What would be the suggestion with a GFC camper? I believe there about 275 - 300 pounds plus camping gear. I am switching from 1/4 steel skid plates to aluminum and entertaining the idea of changing bumpers at some point to drop more weight, those swing out rears can have a lot of weight on them once fully loaded with spare, hi-lift jack extra fuel, water and whatever else.......

Tyler, WarFab is correct and I agree with him......but you had me pretty excited for a minute there!

Last edited:
Dude this is the post I have been waiting for!!!! I am going from 33s straight to 37s! I have done a lot of research and built the truck up to handle them short of portal axels! (Too spendy at the moment) Question for anyone running 37s or has the desire to, what tire and wheel are you using or would?

You have my vote to do it! @WarFabArmor, @Tacomadad18, I and whoever else will need a support group, as my wife hates the relationship I have with Black-n-Tan (name of truck after my favorite beer) already! After she sees 37s on it I may be living in the cabin!

This is what I have done to prepare for 37s or plan on doing;

• Re-gear To 5.29
  • Air locker front (rear has factory E-locker)
  • High clearance bumpers front and rear (that will have to be trimmed) should have went with WarFab but discovered them after the fact
  • Full 2.5 suspension lift
  • @TOTAL CHAOS UCA and LCA as well as spindle gussets (lot of maintenance involved)
  • @ARCHIVE Hammer hangers with crossbar, shock re-locators, and U-bolt flip kit
  • Deaver Expedition 3 leaf springs
  • ADS shocks with adjustable reservoir
  • DuroBumps in front, ADS air bump stops in rear
  • 700# front springs
  • Stop Tech Big brake kit front, Stop Tech rear disc conversion
  • Method 702 17x8.5 with bead grip (awesome wheel IMO)
  • Solo Motorsports Modified Tundra rack n pinion along with steering connectors / clevis pins
  • Trim the fenders
  • Cab mount relocation
  • OVTuned
  • Tub the firewall
  • RCV Axels
The list is endless and it becomes a deep rabbit hole but well worth it! Started about 16 months ago, Will need to add supercharger and possibly a Marlin TacoBox! So sure do it!!!!! Or not, if I was in your position I would stay at 33” just for the simplistic repair if needed while traveling......but that is boring!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1u7bTkReUDhWdvDH9
I love your enthusiasm and your plans!

I have 35s, not 33s, but yeah, I should stick with them.

I love your enthusiasm and your plans!

I have 35s, not 33s, but yeah, I should stick with them.
In your situation yes you should however keep dreaming and planning........and yes I still need to make a build post!

Would be nice if someone offered the 571 or whatever the 8" rear is offered in for the front. That ratio would really allow 37 to be plausible as a good road tire. Down at sea level or with boost, the 529 would be fine. Just needs a little deeper to be right, imo.

Would be nice if someone offered the 571 or whatever the 8" rear is offered in for the front. That ratio would really allow 37 to be plausible as a good road tire. Down at sea level or with boost, the 529 would be fine. Just needs a little deeper to be right, imo.
True, but like you said earlier, the 5.29 and the OVTune 5.29/35s tine is damn fine. I’d say better than a completely stock truck, though I hardly remember what stock was like.

True, but like you said earlier, the 5.29 and the OVTune 5.29/35s tine is damn fine. I’d say better than a completely stock truck, though I hardly remember what stock was like.
I less you wheel where undercuts and ledges are real big, you won't get any real gain from the 37s. For most folks it's just more.headache. And looks cool

Here Tyler, for more support

876C19B0-4C00-4AD7-82C9-5099863324E5.jpeg
If I recall correctly, earlier in this thread I said I wouldn’t do 37s until after road life.

Well, come on. Practical is not my style. I’m definitely ordering them soon.

Looks like you guys are taking a new approach to overlanding. Instead of hitting national forests you will be going from one 4x4 shop to the next.

I'd say GO FOR IT! But for selfish reasons I'll try and talk you off the cliff.

If you are going to be on the road for an extended period of time we'll have to beg you to leave the 37's alone so that you can stay married and henceforth remain committed to T3G.

That is all.....carry on.

PS 37's look pretty rad!

Back