• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rubbing Issues After Coil Adjustment

Romp-A-Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
legendary-fish.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Silver Sky
Hey Tacoma 3G Community,

I'm looking for some advice on this, I'm currently running 285/75/R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires and have the Bilstein 6112 coil shocks up front. Originally, I had the coils set to positions 5 and 4 Drivers/Passengers respectively, which provided close to 1.5" of lift. With that set up, I barely had any rubbing issues. Only when turning in reverse, like pulling out of a driveway. I recently had the shop adjust my coils to the highest position 6 and 5 for ~2 inches of lift and they did a new alignment on the truck. Now I am rubbing way more than I was before (on the body mounts). It's getting annoying. I'm thinking this could be due to the alignment not being set up right? Or am I tripping? Should the increased rubbing been expected when making this type of adjustment?

Either way looking for some advice on how I should tackle this rubbing issue. Should I have the shop look at the alignment again? They mentioned something about buying some spaces to push wheels forward? Or should I just go have a body mount chop done?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Do you have your before and after alignment specs? I am betting they reduced your caster

This is pulled from @TOTAL CHAOS over on Tacoma world. They might have more data to back it up.

"Another thing to keep in mind is MOST factory replacement UCAs maintain factory alignment specs. When you lift a vehicle with factory upper control arms the wheel will move towards the rear of the vehicle (negative caster). With negative caster you will often have wandering or darting of the vehicle."

wrong thread
I don't think so. He added lift - assuming an aftermarket UCA is not involved - and then saw more rub. Negative caster as a result of the lift would actually explain the issue very well, no?

Thanks for all the info guys, really informative. I actually have Camburg Upper Control Arms and on their site, they claim they improve caster and support up to a 3” lift. I’m thinking they may have botched the alignment. Going to have another shop check the caster.

I don't think so. He added lift - assuming an aftermarket UCA is not involved - and then saw more rub. Negative caster as a result of the lift would actually explain the issue very well, no?
No, sorry the post I made was in the wrong thread so I edited it as it had nothing to do with lifts or alignments

Update: I took the truck down to a highly recommended alignment shop and they really knew their stuff. They mentioned they were able to make significant adjustments to my alignment and were able to move the caster forward and better align the frontend. I now have no more rubbing when reversing and while turning. It's pretty noticeable the gap from the tire and the fender compared to before. Thanks again for the advice my dudes.

Back