RTT bases and bed damage.

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Bird dog

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
DJ
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
It looks like our Tacoma beds aren’t very sturdy. Are we asking for trouble adding weight to the rails? If so, should the tent/accessories be tied into the bed mounts?

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Tacoma beds have had issues cracking in the past. I have yet to see third gens with the issue, but seeing how our bed are basically second gen beds, I'm sure it's coming.

As a precaution I've added bed stiffeners from @ragofabrications. I'm hoping that's enough to prevent bed failure and am keeping an eye on the bed.

I have seen bed racks that mount into the floor of the bed (Jillian Rebekah's setup comes to mind). Most are on the rails though. I've considered having a buddy build a lightweight cage inside my shell that would allow the RTT to basically clamp through the shell. Might be a bit overkill though. lol

IMG_20180619_154053358.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom