• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rotational noise, front end, after lift.

UnpavedPreferred

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hopefully a good enough title for someone to find this post in the future if they are having the same issue and I get it successfully resolved.

Initially after lifting my truck, all was well. Lately I've noticed a slight vibration in the floorboard and what sounds like a slight groan/grind. I've heard/read about vibrations and such from various speeds but mine was a low speed (under 20 mph).

I kinda knew this might be in store for me in lifting the vehicle. I know some have zero issues but when I got the notification the shocks were shipping, I picked up all the goods from ECGS:
IMG_3023.jpg

I do also have the carrier bearing spacer kit from OME (not installed) but in my reading the usual troubleshooting step includes shifting into 4wd and see if the issue goes away. While the vibration/noise isn't always present, it doesn't seem to occur in 4wd. Therefore I'm lead to believe it's the needle bearing issue.

In researching for how this will go (I'm doing the work myself because the local 4x4 shop is booked for weeks) I see there are a few means of getting the CV out of the differential. Most go the route of removing the CV from the spindle side. I've read that it's possible to remove the lower ball joint bracket bolts and have enough room to remove the CV from the differential to access the bearing and do the swap.

If you have done this work yourself, let me and any other readers, know how it went. What tools did you use/find helpful. I know I've seen how using a pry bar on the CV indents and a mini sledge can help get the CV/clip on the splines out of the differential easier.

I’ve done this upgrade, remove both lower ball joint bolts to ease in removal of axle shaft, at this time I would recommend replacing axle seal as well.

Upvote 0
What I removed, if you don't want to watch the video:
- Lower ball joint bolts (not the nut for the ball joint itself).
- Brake caliper
- Brake line bracket on the spindle.
- Sway bar link on the spindle.
- ABS line points on the spindle and the upper control arm.

Also the local dealer wanted $111 per liter for the 75w-85 GL5 gear oil. I decided to drain and fill the front diff with locally, same day available 75w-90.

Upvote 0
Back