• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Roof Rack Lighting Question

Taco Loco

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I've decided to mount six lights on my UpTop roof rack. Instead of installing three wiring harnesses, I'm going to make my own. My question is - has anyone successfully used the roof rack mounting bolts as a common ground location? If this works, it would make it much easier than having to run another insulated wire to the engine bay (my windshield gap is filling up fast).

Thanks for the help!

Should work. Maybe even scraggly of some powdercoating to have more contact with the bolt. Do a circle so the washer sits flush. When I last horn, the aluminum extrusion bar itself worked as a ground. Don't know how.

You can see it was connected to the frame. Grind through the brackets holding the extrusion bar, the mounts on the horns and bolts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should work. Maybe even scraggly of some powdercoating to have more contact with the bolt. Do a circle so the washer sits flush. When I last horn, the aluminum extrusion bar itself worked as a ground. Don't know how.

You can see it was connected to the frame. Grind through the brackets holding the extrusion bar, the mounts on the horns and bolts.

Thanks! I wish I took a picture of the roof's threaded mounts before I silicone'd and lock-threaded the roof rack bolts. lol

I assumed it would work, but I wanted a second opinion before I broke the seal. I will probably switch out the current mounting bolt with a larger button head to have more surface contact with the washer and ground wires.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I wish I took a picture of the roof's threaded mounts before I silicone'd and lock-threaded the roof rack bolts. lol

I assumed it would work, but I wanted a second opinion before I broke the seal. I will probably switch out the current mounting bolt with a larger button head to have more surface contact with the washer and ground wires.
My only concern would be the silicone and thread lock. I'd imagine that the thread contacting the threaded holes would create the ground. Since it's between the bolt and the threads of the mounting point that it would make a weaker connection. Maybe very minimal interferance. I have the UpTop Roof Rack as well. I'd say just run it down the passenger side. Did you go with a lightbar? What lights are you adding?

Upvote 0
My only concern would be the silicone and thread lock. I'd imagine that the thread contacting the threaded holes would create the ground. Since it's between the bolt and the threads of the mounting point that it would make a weaker connection. Maybe very minimal interferance. I have the UpTop Roof Rack as well. I'd say just run it down the passenger side. Did you go with a lightbar? What lights are you adding?
I’ll probably do a test wire run before I cut up the harness. I didn’t think I wanted lights so I have the generic fairing with 6 notches cut into it. Ironman 4x4 had a Labor Day sale so I bought 3 pairs of these. https://ironman4x4america.com/3-universal-led-light-kit-with-side-shooters/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ah, the pods. Thought you found another option for the cutouts.
Yeah, these were the exact size as the cutouts. I didn't like the gray housings either, so I'll have to paint/powder coat at some point, but they were priced right for now and got decent reviews. A bit of an experiment.

I've always liked the look of individual light housings vs. a light bar, although a light bar makes more sense and is easier to install. At some point, I may transition to KCs Gravity LED Pro6 but I couldn't justify the cost just yet.

Upvote 0
Back