• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

RetraxOne or RetraxPro Install and Drainage Hole Drilling through Bed Mat

Backbowl

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Pro DCSB Manual
White
So I just purchased a RetraxOne and installed it partially last night. I got nervous towards the end of the install and I got to the part where I had to drill a hole through the bed for the drainage tubes because that would be permanent damage to my truck. I figured I would do some research on where to drill them and how to drill them before I just go ahead and pop some holes in. I'm wondering if anyone has installed one of these retractable typed bed covers before and where you drilled the drainage holes for the tubes.

Could you give some advice on how and where to do it. The other complicating factor that I have is I have the OEM bed mat. I would have to drill through that and the bed. At all possible, I would like it to look clean and not in an odd spot. The holes obviously have to be drilled through the mat and the bed but not all in one drilling but if I do it in 2, I would have to align the holes in the bed with the ones I do in the mat.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any tips on where not to drill, where to drill and how to drill? Do I need a special drill bit to have a clean cut through the mat?

I don't know about other years but in my 19 Taco there are small drainage holes in the front corners of the bed, all you have to do is enlarge those holes.
Remove the mat, open up the the hole you're going to use, in the bed first, once you do that, replace the mat, crawl under the truck and use a silver sharpie to outline the hole in the mat, or any other color that contrasts the black of the mat, remove the mat and drill the hole in the mat.
If you did everything correctly the holes should line up.
I used a step drill for the bed and the mat.
Remember the hose from the Retrax to the bed should be a little loose because you still need drainage if/when you get water in the bed.
No I don't have a Retrax, I drilled the hole to run solar panel cables through there.

Upvote 0
Back