• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Repurpose some unused "switch holes" in my dash/console

ToyBliss

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
I want to repurpose some unused "switch holes" in my dash/console and wonder if anyone else has had success doing so.
I want to try to use the factory switches to keep a tidy look and likely they will simply snap into place. We have a 2021 TRD OffRoad DCSB V6 6MT and there are places for three switches to operate options we don't have, low in the center-console-area. Not necessarily in order: BSM main switch, ECT PWR mode switch, and Intuitive Parking Assist switch, ranging in price from $19 to $140 each. They would be pretty easy to reach by removing the POS "Infotainment" head.
Does anybody know the functions of said switches? In other words, ON-OFF, momentary, SPST, SPDT, DPDT, etc? The factory switches are probably going to be limited to pretty low current which means I will need to utilize relays for serious power use...
I sure don't want to order expensive switches that I can't operate (play with) and see the terminal layout before shelling out the big bucks.
Thoughts (or pictures!) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I want to repurpose some unused "switch holes" in my dash/console and wonder if anyone else has had success doing so.
I want to try to use the factory switches to keep a tidy look and likely they will simply snap into place. We have a 2021 TRD OffRoad DCSB V6 6MT and there are places for three switches to operate options we don't have, low in the center-console-area. Not necessarily in order: BSM main switch, ECT PWR mode switch, and Intuitive Parking Assist switch, ranging in price from $19 to $140 each. They would be pretty easy to reach by removing the POS "Infotainment" head.
Does anybody know the functions of said switches? In other words, ON-OFF, momentary, SPST, SPDT, DPDT, etc? The factory switches are probably going to be limited to pretty low current which means I will need to utilize relays for serious power use...
I sure don't want to order expensive switches that I can't operate (play with) and see the terminal layout before shelling out the big bucks.
Thoughts (or pictures!) would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Ok, so I just came back to this and now I think I'm confused.

Your truck has blank switches in those spots, correct? If so, when you say they range in price, what do you mean? And the functions of said switches? That makes me think your truck does have working switches in those spots? Would you mind posting a photo of what yours looks like?

Upvote 0

Your truck has blank switches in those spots, correct? If so, when you say they range in price, what do you mean? And the functions of said switches? That makes me think your truck does have working switches in those spots? Would you mind posting a photo of what yours looks like?
That sure is what it sounds like, either that or he has those switches and wants to know how they work so he can repurpose them? I have a pretty thorough manual so lmk what you need.

Upvote 0
That sure is what it sounds like, either that or he has those switches and wants to know how they work so he can repurpose them? I have a pretty thorough manual so lmk what you need.
What is the manual of exactly? I'd be interested in some of its info depending on what it is.

Upvote 0
It's a 2016 service manual, I can post a Drive link if you want to check it out.
Ah, I think it might be the same one we have here:

Appreciate it though.

Upvote 0

I would hope that new switches would snap right into the existing holes…

Attachments

• 8114AA87-D463-4074-BA3D-370FFF64B9B3.jpeg
    8114AA87-D463-4074-BA3D-370FFF64B9B3.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
I would hope that new switches would snap right into the existing holes…
Yes, new switches will easily snap in to those holes. If you add new switches, you can use them for whatever accessories you want. The switches are usually cheap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When you say repurpose, what are you trying to repurpose them to do? Are you just trying to add switches? Replace them? Fill some empty slots?

aironboard.com has Toyota-esque Blue switches for a match.

For details, there are a couple guys on the other forum that do some work on them. Mainly just switching out LEDs and resistors. They'd have more information on specifications.

Upvote 0
Back