• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Represent your tires and give your experience!

Nick BBP

6️⃣ Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
This is a thread for people who are unsure to what tire they want to go with and can see some past experiences others have had. Post some pictures of your tire setup with sizes and tell what the ride quality is like, mpg's you get, onroad use experience, offroad use experience, or anything else I can't think of!

I'm running a 285/75r16 cooper st maxx which comes in a load range e so it's a heavy boy! City pre bumpers I was probably getting 15mpg and maybe 20 highway, but after the bumpers like 13.4 city and 14-16ish highway (ouch). But these perform offroad! If you do heavy offroading but want to be able to commute and get long mileage so you don't want a mud turrain, these are great! Mud and snow rated so these are INCREDIBLE in the snow. Snow wheeling I air down to 12-14 depending on how fresh/deep it is, and 17 for normal offroading. A couple months ago breaking trail in a snowstorm in PA with a buddy they had no struggles (besides some off camber situations trying to pull us into a river). When these go bald (probably 20k miles on them now) I'll go with a 315/70r17 or 315/75r16 and some 5.26 gearing.
11.jpg
31900918_1754211624635553_3344614479345221632_n.jpg
29103160878_33416e37b4_o.jpg
hill climb.jpg
sno 5.jpg
snow camp 1.jpg

I run Falken Wildpeak at3’s in 265/70/17.

Absolutely positively love these tires. Aired down they are awesome, road noise is minimal, wet traction is IMO better than any tire I’ve ran. The mpg difference is also minimal as it doesn’t affect mine. If you are looking to go up a size (Sr and Sr5) I highly recommend Falkens.

*I came from ko2’s and I hated those tires. They were also 265/70/17. Hard tires, spun at every stoplight and packed mud in tread when it was muddy. I will never go back to a ko2. Some people like, it might be because I’ve heard they are good in the sand, I wouldn’t know there is no sand near me.

6AA1A081-E637-476E-B3FD-794356652BE8.jpeg
02DB5494-C808-4FF5-B26E-555257572D06.jpeg

285/70/17
Good year wrangler duratracs
..........they suck , don't ever buy them .......
Curse you tire guy and you discounts , falkens I miss you:cry:
Why didn’t you like them? My friend had them on his xj I drove it in a couple inches of fresh snow and I thought they weren’t bad, but nowhere near my st maxx’s.

Why didn’t you like them? My friend had them on his xj I drove it in a couple inches of fresh snow and I thought they weren’t bad, but nowhere near my st maxx’s.
In my experience the wet traction is horrible even with 300lbs of sand bags in my bed just slip slip , last summer no bags in the back I can peel them . Cornering if I gas a but hard traction control kicks in and here a tire slip , winter when we had snow there were ok , nothing close to my falkens I had on my runner
Or coopers

I have BFG KM3's 285/70/17...and ill never go to another tire these are amazing! (Probably jump up to a 35" next year)

In the sand, mud, snow; they have crazy amounts of grip. I was climbing obstacles without slipping that I attempted previously with a set of falken wildpeaks that I couldnt ever get traction on. Theyre also just as quiet as my previous wildpeaks were, you dont get any hum or drone going down the freeway.

Downsides: On ice they suck...you have to be very conscious of your driving in icy conditions (large lugs with no sipping). Also theyre heavy, gas mileage dropped 1mpg

52774133_10213273118762549_2591139377241391104_n.jpg

So right now we have:

1 vote:
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX

1 vote:
Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W

1 vote:
BFGoodrich KM3

-1 vote:
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

-1 vote:
BFGoodrich KO2

Not much of a consensus here guys.

I have BFG KM3's 285/70/17...and ill never go to another tire these are amazing! (Probably jump up to a 35" next year)

In the sand, mud, snow; they have crazy amounts of grip. I was climbing obstacles without slipping that I attempted previously with a set of falken wildpeaks that I couldnt ever get traction on. Theyre also just as quiet as my previous wildpeaks were, you dont get any hum or drone going down the freeway.

Downsides: On ice they suck...you have to be very conscious of your driving in icy conditions (large lugs with no sipping). Also theyre heavy, gas mileage dropped 1mpg

52774133_10213273118762549_2591139377241391104_n.jpg
agree i to have km3 295/70/17 but they're not as quiet as falken wildpeak.

Looks like the Wildpeaks don't come in a 265/70r/16 :confused:

Toyo open country MT (255/85/16). They are outstanding on and off road.

I have 255/75R17 KO2s and I love them. They have served me well here in the PNW where we experience all terrain types and they have also worn well. The trick with these tires is to have them ROAD FORCE BALANCED every time you get a rebalance/alignment otherwise they will vibrate like crazy under certain speeds.

I will probably swap to an MT soon just to check out my options but for now these KO2s will be just fine.
IMG_20190524_201303_276.jpg
IMG_20190514_085126_514.jpg

Falkens of the cooper which ever you can get cheaper
And add another-1 to the good year;)

I do not know if this is the type of feedback that is being asked for as my Tacoma is still running the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's that came on it - I cannot speak to tires on the Tacoma but I do have loads of experience with other tires in many different sizes.

NItto Trial Grappler M/T - ran these recently in 40s - and 35's the 40's were on a Commando restomod I did and the 35's were on one of my ram 2500"s -

The other tire I've run a lot was the Toyo Open Country M/T - this has been my go to tire for the last 12 years and I've run them on jeeps and 3/4 tons -
Mostly I've run 37's but I have run them in 40's and 35's. The Toyo Open Country M/T is an expensive tire relative to some budget tires.

I love the Toyo Open Country M/T because in my experience they are an exceptionally quiet mud terrain and they last. Furthermore, they do well in every situation I've put them into. I towed on snow with them on a 3/4-ton and wheeled them in Johnson Valley in the sand - they just work. Again, they have great milage and balance well. I have a set of 37x14.50x15's I am using on a CJ-Truck I am building - Again also Open Country M/T's

The Nitto Trail Grappler's - were also quiet - but it seems that the Toyo's were better - both lasted and I ran them harshly on Dodge 3/4 diesels and I was no where near religious about rotating them.

Since BFG-has redesigned their line - I've not run them, so I cannot Comment on the KM2's or KO3's

I had exceptional luck with some K02's on a JK that I couldn't kill - I got approximately 60,000 miles on KO2's

I put some Open Country R/T's on my brothers truck and they have done well despite his alignment not staying put. its a silverado with a Rough Country so not ideal.

I'll run Toyo's or Nitto's when I get tires for My Tacoma - I am deciding what size still - but they'll be a variant of 33's

One Aside - I've run Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and Dune GRapplers for fun of it.... they were all impressive -

I am curious about Falkens - I like the way they look.

I did try out some Yokohama Geolander X-MT's I had them on my 2018 Ram 2500 for literally a 'weekend' I went back to Open Country M/T's

I am also curious about Yokohama's offerings.

One of the things I am finding difficult to accept with the third generation tacoma is how much tires can affect the milage on the truck - my perspective is based on the results Ive had with Cummins diesels - Going from a stock 32" to a 40" with no gear change had little effect on my last Cummins Diesel. Where as in my case my 2019 Tacoma got a front bumper, a lift, and some new wheels on the stock tire size and I lost 2.5mpg to 3mpg in consistent fuel economy drop.

I am accepting that if I want to build a tacoma the way I want putting 4.88's or 5.29's is a 'great' idea to run 33's or esp 35's.

Which is why the 255/80/17 in the Toyo Open Country M/T is likely the way I'll go when it comes time to run some new tires.

I love my 265/70/17 BFG a/t KO2's. I have been running BFG a/t KO's since 1992. I have had them on damn near every truck/suv I have ever owned so I've worn down 5 or 6 sets of them. This is my first set with the updated sidewall design (KO2's) No difference in ride or wear, and look better.
I have had zero balance issues, and I have gotten anywhere from 45-55k out of them. But like @oretaco said, get 'em road force balanced. Makes a difference!
my only gripe is they do slip a little in wet at the light. Not every time, but they will break traction in the rain.
An easy solution to this is to get your tires siped at Les Schwab tire. Totally solves the problem.
I will never switch tires- I have been consistently happy with BFG's. There's a reason rhey haven't changed their tread design on these in around 30 years- cause it works damn well
Note: I have always run C rated tires.
Don't run E rated unless you do alot of heavy hauling or your truck is outfitted with tons of equipt. They are heavier and will ride much harder.
C rated is what you want for moslty road driving, and off road driving without alot of weight on your truck. Air down C rated on trails and washboard roads and you're stoked!

. 38DC3EF4-4A03-470C-8054-CDA75BD45336.jpegA50E3DD6-28B6-434C-A5D7-9DEF388A3093.jpeg

Last edited:
I have great experience with both toyo at2 which I noticed has a long life span and also falken wildpreaks a/t which are good overall as far as lifespan it may wear out a little faster but these are rated good for snow and mud as well

Attachments

• 7D85AAD8-6DDF-4161-B22B-C123B7843DF1.jpeg
    7D85AAD8-6DDF-4161-B22B-C123B7843DF1.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 84
  • AFD7AEDF-C38C-493D-AF78-61E2049353AA.jpeg
    AFD7AEDF-C38C-493D-AF78-61E2049353AA.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 89
Back