• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Removing the stock touch screen to add a storage cubby

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Calling the audio experts.

What would it take to replace the stock touch screen with a storage cubby while keeping a Bluetooth connection for your phone?

I don’t need the touch screen because we use our iPhone and iPad for navigation and everything else. The touch screen has always been redundant for us and Entune sucks anyway.

It would be killer if I could take it out and attach a Bluetooth receiver to the speakers and have all of that space open for activities.

Tips?

Maybe look at Crutchfield? Im sure this is possible if you replace the head unit with a DIN sized one, but you will have to do a little wiring. If you are familiar with wiring car audio, I cant imagine it being too hard to bypass. My question would be, would all the info on the dash still work without the head unit? Meaning, the radio station, tpms info, and all that stuff? Im wondering if all that information goes through the head unit somehow.

How about the little round receivers they have for boats?
Good idea, I'll look into this when I get around to this mod.

Maybe look at Crutchfield? Im sure this is possible if you replace the head unit with a DIN sized one, but you will have to do a little wiring. If you are familiar with wiring car audio, I cant imagine it being too hard to bypass. My question would be, would all the info on the dash still work without the head unit? Meaning, the radio station, tpms info, and all that stuff? Im wondering if all that information goes through the head unit somehow.
That's what I'm wondering. But I'll be the guinea pig for us and find out. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if this would work or not. I'd imagine I'll know just by disconnecting the head unit wires. If it makes the truck lose its mind I might have to back out, lol.

You will lose some information in the center dash display.

Yes, I tried an aftermarket head unit because Entune is so bad. I can't remember what all I lost in the center display--almost everything, I think. It was enough that I went back to the factory system. It is easy to pull the bezel and remove the four bolts holding the head unit. Unplug the system and then drive it around a little. If it doesn't bother you then go ahead with your plan.

Back