• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Remote Start Stops When I Open Door

GTGallop

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
It's Ari-Effing-Zona and we are going to be around 115° to 117° this next week. Because of that, when I get out of the truck, I leave it on MAX COOL and then remote start the vehicle about 5 to 10 minutes before I get in next time. It kinda knocks the edge off the convection oven waiting inside for me.

Problem - When I touch the door handle, it turns off the engine, then I get in and start it right back up.

Why does it stop the engine just because I'm getting in the truck? Last vehicle was a Ranger and it would let you get in then push the dash button, the truck dashboard would wake up and you could then put it in gear. Not the Taco.

It's Ari-Effing-Zona and we are going to be around 115° to 117° this next week. Because of that, when I get out of the truck, I leave it on MAX COOL and then remote start the vehicle about 5 to 10 minutes before I get in next time. It kinda knocks the edge off the convection oven waiting inside for me.

Problem - When I touch the door handle, it turns off the engine, then I get in and start it right back up.

Why does it stop the engine just because I'm getting in the truck? Last vehicle was a Ranger and it would let you get in then push the dash button, the truck dashboard would wake up and you could then put it in gear. Not the Taco.
Normal programming,
Tacoma's will shut down when you open the door.
Seems odd that other manufactures will still run till another step is made to drive.

Must be a safety requirement somewhere in the world. I have not heard if you can alter the programming to bypass it.
Most likely not as it would be a popular mod by now.

It will also stop if you unlock the doors remotely. It's an anti-theft measure. I haven't tested it yet, but I've heard if you try to drive off without the fob it will also shutdownn. Considering how easy it is to steal these trucks any anti-theft measure is appreaciated.

As to heat or cold, I pretty much do the same thing here in SoCal. It's a pretty minor inconvienence to have to push the start button after you get inside. What I'd like to see is a way to program the run time longer. But Toyota may be afraid that idling in a very hot climate for too long may overheat the vehicle.

It will also stop if you unlock the doors remotely. It's an anti-theft measure. I haven't tested it yet, but I've heard if you try to drive off without the fob it will also shutdownn. Considering how easy it is to steal these trucks any anti-theft measure is appreaciated.

As to heat or cold, I pretty much do the same thing here in SoCal. It's a pretty minor inconvienence to have to push the start button after you get inside. What I'd like to see is a way to program the run time longer. But Toyota may be afraid that idling in a very hot climate for too long may overheat the vehicle.
I'm honestly surprised the Greenie-Weenies let it idle for that long. Figured that would be outlawed by now.

Welcome to life with the push start. I hate that it shuts off so much that I just don't even use the remote start. The only way around it is if you have the physical key and use the N2 Designs remote starter. Makes no difference on the push start trucks tho. Ceramic tint is life in AZ.

It sucks, Dax of Tacoma life, my 2023 subi does not do this

I don't think mine ever stopped when unlocked with the remote. It was only when I pulled the door open.

Also from my understanding and experience the vehicle will not shut down. Until you push the button and shut it off. The vehicle will just keep beeping and reminding you.

My parents had a Lexus with the same Smart Key System. They had to go to the airport. They drove and I just took a nap. Left them at drop off and I took off. Well, I'm an idiot and made it about 6 miles before I realized I never got the keys. Had to call my dad and go back to get the fob from him.
I really do feel if I drove back straight home, it would have went all the way.

Think of liability Toyota would face. Someone leaves their vehicle on. Gets out for mail. Gets robbed. Distracted the robber by throwing their purse with the keys in it. Runs for the vehicle to drive away. Tries to get away and the vehicle shuts off. The victim would blame Toyota.

From the other end, if they kept the vehicle running and someone stole it. Even if there was a child or pet in the back seat, they can't blame Toyota. That person's fault for being stupid and naive.

Back