• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance Recurring problem with low tire pressure followed by ABS and Traction Control warning lights

KAS

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Hello. Newbie to the group here. 2016 Tacoma Off Road. I'm having a recurring problem with the low tire pressure, ABS and Traction Control warning lights going off. I have had the TPMS sensors in the tires checked out - I've been told they all read fine, I've reset the TPMS system on the truck, I've checked the actual tire pressure (they are all fine) - and I'm running out of ideas. Seems to happen this way; while driving, low tire pressure light starts to blink for a few seconds, then goes solid, after 10-15 seconds the ABS and traction control lights both illuminate. This has happened a dozen times over the past 5k miles and seems to be increasing in frequency. I've read some posts talking about the sensors at the wheels going bad from torn boots or whatever. The front boots are intact and don't look damaged. Any ideas? Thanks
IMG_5524.JPG

Is your truck lifted? I've heard of people somehow pinching their abs wiring when installing front coilovers.

Upvote 0
I want to say I had something similar happen to me a couple times in the first few months of having my truck but it went away and didn't return.

Upvote 0
Hi. Thanks for the reply. This started for me about 5k miles ago or so when the truck had over 50k miles - I'm pretty sure it was after new tires were put on. I've had the tire sensors checked and they seem to be reading OK. I'm concerned it's something in the dash electronics/computer - which is why I posted here to see if anyone else had a similar experience.
Hello. Newbie to the group here. 2016 Tacoma Off Road. I'm having a recurring problem with the low tire pressure, ABS and Traction Control warning lights going off. I have had the TPMS sensors in the tires checked out - I've been told they all read fine, I've reset the TPMS system on the truck, I've checked the actual tire pressure (they are all fine) - and I'm running out of ideas. Seems to happen this way; while driving, low tire pressure light starts to blink for a few seconds, then goes solid, after 10-15 seconds the ABS and traction control lights both illuminate. This has happened a dozen times over the past 5k miles and seems to be increasing in frequency. I've read some posts talking about the sensors at the wheels going bad from torn boots or whatever. The front boots are intact and don't look damaged. Any ideas? Thanks
IMG_5524.JPG
UPDATE; since the error lights have been going off daily this week, I succumbed and took in to a dealer today. They read a bunch of error codes that they are interpreting - the truck is still at the dealer right now... I'll provide more of an update when I get the truck back...

Upvote 0
Hello. Newbie to the group here. 2016 Tacoma Off Road. I'm having a recurring problem with the low tire pressure, ABS and Traction Control warning lights going off. I have had the TPMS sensors in the tires checked out - I've been told they all read fine, I've reset the TPMS system on the truck, I've checked the actual tire pressure (they are all fine) - and I'm running out of ideas. Seems to happen this way; while driving, low tire pressure light starts to blink for a few seconds, then goes solid, after 10-15 seconds the ABS and traction control lights both illuminate. This has happened a dozen times over the past 5k miles and seems to be increasing in frequency. I've read some posts talking about the sensors at the wheels going bad from torn boots or whatever.

The front boots are intact and don't look damaged. Any ideas? Thanks
IMG_5524.JPG

Hi there, first post. @kas I have been having the same issues. I have replaced abs cables (both sides), brake pedal stop light sensor, and abs pump assembly. All my tires were at 27PSI in the cold this morning. I have a lift and 275/70r17 KO2. Going to fill all tires to see of this is the issue. Only ever happens in extreme cold. Thanks in advance as I desperately want to get to the bottom of this. What were the codes the dealer found?

Upvote 0
I'll see if I can find the service report from my finally surrendering and taking my truck into the dealer. They said they found a loose pin in one of the MF connectors under the driver side dash. The bad news is it cost me over $700 in labor for them to diagnose the problem (which I complained to there service manager about) - the good news is that I haven't had the problem reoccur since they reseated the pin.... A pretty crappy experience but at least I haven't had the error codes since.

Upvote 0
I don't see that they shared the error codes themselves but you can try checking pin 13 on the m6 connector.... that apparently was my issue. My truck is not lifted - I've read about sometimes in the process of lifting, some of the wiring/cables can get damaged which can produce similar errors. My issue also started out when I was driving up a pass with snow outside but it gradually progressed in terms of frequency to any temperature and any conditions. Not sure how the temperature could cause/affect a loose pin - but whatever. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
TBMS. The signal is sent to the computer…has the same frequency as your key Fob…also sent to your computer…
Never buy aftermarket TBMS ..always buy OEM - Toyota made… those frequency must match or you will screw up your computers…TBMS has codes , numbers must match…. They can be reset by Toyota dealers ..may cost more ..but if you buy AFTERMARKETS ..they can freeze / lock the truck computers..costing way more money…if not reset correctly…
There was a YouTube by a Toyota tech…explaining how FOBs & TBMS works …was a huge learning experience…sorry I do no know the guys name …something about “car care”?
Aloha

Kas I glad to hear you got it fix….
Electrical & computer problems can take many hours to trace…and only minutes to repair or replace…
My mechanic…told me how a guy brought his truck in for repairs…a electrical issue ( older truck). Finally he found the problem ..a broken disconnect wire…A simple fix…the owner complained was you are charging so much $$$…for a simple repaired.. he didn’t realize the mechanic spent almost a whole day trying to find the problem…
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
TBMS. The signal is sent to the computer…has the same frequency as your key Fob…also sent to your computer…
Never buy aftermarket TBMS ..always buy OEM - Toyota made… those frequency must match or you will screw up your computers…TBMS has codes , numbers must match…. They can be reset by Toyota dealers ..may cost more ..but if you buy AFTERMARKETS ..they can freeze / lock the truck computers..costing way more money…if not reset correctly…
There was a YouTube by a Toyota tech…explaining how FOBs & TBMS works …was a huge learning experience…sorry I do no know the guys name …something about “car care”?
Aloha
Thanks for the response. The TPMS sensors were one of the early steps I tried to diagnose my trucks issue. Especially since I had new tires put on not long before the issue showed up the first time. I had the TPMS sensors tested and they seemed to read out fine and connect to the computer. Which led me to checking the boots, etc... I guess I need to pick up a diagnostic computer error code reader for the future... I may be in the market for a new truck later this year so maybe I'll wait and see what I do.

Upvote 0
Back