• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recovery/winch bumper that doesn’t require cutting

ChrisChuck

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
First post in here. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a front end winch bumper that doesn’t require cutting of the factory bumper. I really like the SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper, but that will require me to cut a good portion of the stock bumper off. I’m not 100% against cutting, but would like to avoid it if possible.
Im in Colorado and drive a 2019 TRD OR DCLB. Looking to add some recoverability to my rig so that I can confidently hit the trails next winter. Thanks in advance.

Most anything, including the "no cut" options require some sort of cutting. It may be a small trim here and there, or complete cut off of sections of the bumper, but it's cutting. The different slim style bumpers also vary in how much needs to be cut off.

Have you looked into a hidden winch mount? They hide under the factory bumper and only require you to cut through the lower center section which is easily replaceable later on if you decide to go back to stock.

Here's my truck when I used to have one.

IMG_8793.jpg

First post in here. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a front end winch bumper that doesn’t require cutting of the factory bumper. I really like the SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper, but that will require me to cut a good portion of the stock bumper off. I’m not 100% against cutting, but would like to avoid it if possible.
Im in Colorado and drive a 2019 TRD OR DCLB. Looking to add some recoverability to my rig so that I can confidently hit the trails next winter. Thanks in advance.
Have you found your bumper yet? The hidden winch mount probably requires the least amount of cutting. After that you’d be looking at a low profile bumper like the one from SOS. @UploadAdventure

Last edited:
There are few no cuts. I think Victory4x4 has one. Plus there are some bull bars.

After over a year of studying. Looking. Researching. And following other people with bumpers the best answer is...... you have to do minor cutting pretty much with any bumper. But ultimately it’s up to your comfort level.

I’m sort of biased as I push SOS Concepts Offroad products. For living in Colorado and doing even mild wheeling I’d get something like a streamline bumper. This way you get solid recovery points and a place to install a winch. I know when I was in Colorado this last year I played it safe, but I had seen many trails where a winch and or front recovery points would have been really important to have. This is just my .02 cents.

Oh and one last note. SOS steel streamline bumper only weighs 65 lbs with no hoop and 70 lbs with a hoop... so you’re not putting that much extra weight on the front end.

Warn Hidden Winch Bumper only requires you to trim a 1/2" piece about 6" long and it cannot be seen. It doesn't affect the TSS at all but it does on the Pro models.

winch.JPG

Warn Hidden Winch Bumper only requires you to trim a 1/2" piece about 6" long and it cannot be seen. It doesn't affect the TSS at all but it does on the Pro models.

winch.JPG
SOS Streamline you cut about the same.
And you can specify hoop or no hoop.

plus I can get you 10% off. ??

Back