• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Recommendations for LED taillights (brake/blinker/running) in the stock housing

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Hello friends!

Hey, I think I want to swap out my incandesent lights for some LEDs. I've been searching on Amazon and the options I'm finding are not well reviewed. I guess they burn out after a few months. Doesn't that defeat one of the main benefits of LEDs? Anyway, anyone found a fairly cheap option that they are happy with? If so can you link me? Thank you!

I went with Sylvannia LED’s and Diode Dynamic’s Tail as Turn module on mine. You probably will need to add resistors to eliminate hyper flash. They have run almost five years without any problems.

Attachments

• 5F75AD99-DDAA-4FD3-B1DF-F783A6224D9D.jpeg
    5F75AD99-DDAA-4FD3-B1DF-F783A6224D9D.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 429F9420-E723-4D41-9A9B-E38F1B705DEC.jpeg
    429F9420-E723-4D41-9A9B-E38F1B705DEC.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 45
The Meso rear also converts to the full C brake light. Instead of the half C.

IMG_2697_82044f4d-90f7-49d3-8071-4741c8c57169_1024x1024.jpg

I've swapped out so many lights in mine. Didn't want to deal with hyperflash. So it took a lot of testing. I didn't want to install resistors as that would mean more holes and a lot of heat. They do make in-line ones now which are cleaner but charge a lot. Most higher end/nicer builds have them build into the bulb itself.

I went MesoCustoms/VLED Tritons and Morimoto for everything I could.
Morimoto XB Headlights - Replaced XenonDepot HID/LED combo + VLED Triton.
Morimoto License Plate Lights - Super bright.
Morimoto Mirror Turn Signals - Not very budget friendly, but with how much I've put into lights it was knowing they are of good quality.
MesoCustoms Stage 2 Tail Light Kit - Replaced Nakabo 921 - Reverse. Nakabo's were bright and good quality. Replaced for the full light up and bright VLED Tritons in the Stage 2 Kit.
MesoCustoms Map Lights - Best in slot.
MesoCustoms Dome Light - Best in slot.
MesoCustoms Puddle Lights
Nakobo 6612F - Vanity Lights - Cheap and I'm happy with them. Couple years and no issues.

With all the MESO/Morimoto stuff, there is no hyperflashing from the blinking bulbs.
Before in the OEM headlights and other bulbs, it did hyperflash. Just have to remember that all bulbs have to be anti-hyper flash for it to work.

SiriusLED 7440 - Had resistors built into the bulb.
Had the MesoCustoms Mirror Signals and swapped to the Morimoto because they were sequential and to match the Morimoto XB headlights.
Philips Ultinon 194's were a decent bulb. OEM quality and average price.
XenonDepot 3022 Dome - Bright bulb. But only worth getting if you are buying other stuff from XD.

Back