• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear lift questions.

gelsi2033

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hello everyone.

Recently purchased a Bilstein suspension lift for my 21 OR. 6112s up front. 5100s rear.

I am thinking of going up 1.5 in the front but I would really prefer to retain some rake.

If I lift the rear I would go with an AAL, but which one? Deaver? Icon? Do I remove the overload (I am thinking yes)?

I have read that adding an AAL with no extra weight in the back stiffens the ride a bit too much?

I don't run any weight in the back save the Diamond back SE and some recovery gear (jack/compressor/boards).

Total constant weight of probably< 200LBS. No towing, no future plans to add any additional weight, no major hauling save the occasional mulch from home depot.

Keeping the tires as is 265/75/16 Duratracs. No plans to go bigger.

Moderate trail riding on weekends, nothing crazy. Most driving is highway taking it on long trips so I want to avoid making it too rough just to add height.

I am sure someone on here has a similar setup and would like to know your thoughts. Likes/dislikes?

Attachments

• 6-28-21.jpg
    6-28-21.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 6-28-21A.jpg
    6-28-21A.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 6-28-21B.jpg
    6-28-21B.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 80
I ran an Icon AAL without the overload spring for a couple years without much bed weight and it was fine. The only difference is I kept a 33” spare in the back.

I've ran Deaver in the past and loved them but I am running the Icon aal now without the overload spring and it rides great. I don't think its stiffer at all. I am eventually upgrading to a Deaver stage 1 with a 2.5" shock in the rear. So , my vote wold be for a Deaver Spring pack.

I don't tow or haul anything heavy and am on 33"s. Do mostly highway driving also. The aal would most likely be fine for what you use your truck for and I think about $600 cheaper.

your gonna like the ride, with 6112's. I did the 5140's in the back, with 2.5 Dakar OME Springs. love the set up. I consider it one of the best out there.

I ran the Toytec AAL with no extra weight and its SUPER stiff. I am figuring out my next move to swap it with something else. Toytec was helpful in sending me blocks to replace it with but haven't gotten them and not sure I will use them. Seem's like the Icon leaf rides nice from reading about them.

I had Dakar on my last tacoma, I loved them! Ride quality was great, but the squeaked insane!!

I have Dakar in Mine, Presently, have for the last 6 months. I haven't had squeak one!!!!
Mine were most likely an earlier generation, they went on a 2015.. Maybe they have fixed that issue? Dispite the squeak, the ride was smooth slightly stiffer then stock.

Did you ever get this done? Did you grab springs for the 5100 or using the factory springs?
Most AAL will be 1.5". Overload will give .5". With no weight, it won't be supporting anything. With weight it should help support a little when in contact.

1ayRqm.jpg

clFG4P.jpg

Did you ever get this done? Did you grab springs for the 5100 or using the factory springs?
Most AAL will be 1.5". Overload will give .5". With no weight, it won't be supporting anything. With weight it should help support a little when in contact.

1ayRqm.jpg

clFG4P.jpg

1ayRqm.jpg

clFG4P.jpg
I have 6112"s, and 5140's so I could not answer per say.

I have 6112"s, and 5140's so I could not answer per say.
I keep looking up 5140 every time you mention it. Is that just the TRD version tuned by Toyota?
Haven't seen a Bilstein 5140 offered. Can only find 5140 within the TRD Suspension part number: PTR13-35140
Is it like a 5160 without the reservoir?
Is it this?

20180417_214436-jpg.2688284

Last edited:
Back