• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

"Realistic" maximum lift with coilovers - 3"?

itsthex

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.coryinmotion.com
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey all!

I've been researching like hell about exactly what suspension kit I want to get based off of my needs, and up until my recent conversation with Accutune I was going to go with the full King 3.0 OEM Extended's all around. Accutune recommended the Fox 2.5's over the 3.0's though as they have better valving, etc to match my needs and just how much abuse the truck will be seeing through all the terrain I plan to traverse.

Long story short, I've seen mixed reviews about exactly how much lift you can get from the Fox 2.5's. Some places list 0-3", others list 0-2", with reviewers stating that some only manage 1.5" lift over all.

Realistically, what kind of lift can we expect from these trucks? Anyone getting 2.5-3" out of a Fox 2.5? What about a King 2.5 or 3.0?

This is all barring lift blocks. Not something I'm interested in.

with Fox 2.5s you can get to 3 inches of lift total if you adjust the preload for it, the only issues with doing that is you will lose a bit of your down travel, realistically 2.5" of preload should be just fine and youll be able to a 33" tire as most are trying to do that,

I currently have 34s on my tacoma with only a 2.5 lift and the truck rides great and has full travel

your already on the right track staying away from lift blocks

i work for an approved shop on here called Battleborn Offroad and would be happy to assist you

if you have any questions or want some great pricing you can message me through here

or even can give me a call/ text 702-670-1144

also if you do plan to really abuse the truck might be a good option to do tundra rear shocks and get more travel out of the shock
at our shop we offer the service that you would need to swap out the lower Fk joint to get them to work properly and get much better perfromance

Last edited:
I have a solid 3' inch lift, Bilsteins 6112 front coil overs with OME frot upper control arms, and 5140 rear reservoir shocks, and I have a 2.5 inch heavy duty leaf OME Dakar to fill out the back as well. I run Toyos 285 70 17, and I have zero rubbing issues.

pic 5.jpg

Attachments

• pic tire.jpg
    pic tire.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 228
with Fox 2.5s you can get to 3 inches of lift total if you adjust the preload for it, the only issues with doing that is you will lose a bit of your down travel, realistically 2.5" of preload should be just fine and youll be able to a 33" tire as most are trying to do that,

I currently have 34s on my tacoma with only a 2.5 lift and the truck rides great and has full travel

your already on the right track staying away from lift blocks

i work for an approved shop on here called Battleborn Offroad and would be happy to assist you

if you have any questions or want some great pricing you can message me through here

or even can give me a call/ text 702-670-1144

also if you do plan to really abuse the truck might be a good option to do tundra rear shocks and get more travel out of the shock
at our shop we offer the service that you would need to swap out the lower Fk joint to get them to work properly and get much better perfromance

Thank you for the information! Where exactly is your shop located?

Would you mind expanding on the Fk joint swap? That’s not something I’ve heard of yet. I do actually plan to run 34s, 285/75/17 to be exact.

The truck in your avatar looks to be a second gen. I heard the second gens can get 3” from the fox suspension since they sit 1 inch lower than my third gen from the factory. This was my understanding of why the third gen can only squeeze 2” max since fox uses the same coil overs for both trucks. Am I incorrect?

I have a solid 3' inch lift, Bilsteins 6112 front coil overs with OME frot upper control arms, and 5140 rear reservoir shocks, and I have a 2.5 inch heavy duty leaf OME Dakar to fill out the back as well. I run Toyos 285 70 17, and I have zero rubbing issues.

pic 5.jpg

Solid setup, the thread I was reading did mention the Bilsteins pulled 3” but he lost an inch when he swapped to the fox.

On another note, how do you like the open country? I see they’re the lightest tire in the size I want to run. I wanted to nitro ridge grapplers but they’re about 6lbs heavier.

A shop just finished with my suspension and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow hopefully. I have fox 2.5’s all around and 285/75r17. You can definitely get 2.5 out of the fox’s. I also had all the archive garage goodies installed. I’ll send some better pics when I get the truck. Remind me if I don’t send them. This is just what I’ve received from the shop.

Attachments

• BF64E43F-B09B-4B33-B645-E31B104AAB91.jpeg
    BF64E43F-B09B-4B33-B645-E31B104AAB91.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 282
  • A762EF9E-FDD3-46A6-BE4E-15F01819C14A.jpeg
    A762EF9E-FDD3-46A6-BE4E-15F01819C14A.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 288
A shop just finished with my suspension and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow hopefully. I have fox 2.5’s all around and 285/75r17. You can definitely get 2.5 out of the fox’s. I also had all the archive garage goodies installed. I’ll send some better pics when I get the truck. Remind me if I don’t send them. This is just what I’ve received from the shop.

Have me drooling already- looking forward to seeing it!

I installed Accutune's Fox 4A mid travel this past weekend. I got about 2.5 inches of lift from where I was at. I didn't take pre and post numbers from all 4 corners but I know it was about 3/4 of an inch lower than stock overall with the bed cover, rock sliders, full skids, and winch/bumper combo. Because of that weight, I have 14" 600 lb coils in the front and stage 2 icon rxt in the rear.

Before:
IMG_2959.jpg

After:
IMG_2969.jpg

Preload out of the box:
IMG_2963.jpg

It's better. I have the adjusters dialed to (-) as far as they will go. Just to get an idea of them. My wife says it's a little bouncy but I haven't played with the adjusters yet, nor have I got an alignment. I've probably driven less than 10 miles so far. Mainly around the neighborhood to get things to settle. I need to adjust the preload on the drivers front, slight lean, and I'll get an appointment for the alignment. Since I work from home, it mainly sits in the driveway during the week.

Would you mind expanding on the Fk joint swap? That’s not something I’ve heard of yet. I do actually plan to run 34s, 285/75/17 to be exact.

The truck in your avatar looks to be a second gen. I heard the second gens can get 3” from the fox suspension since they sit 1 inch lower than my third gen from the factory. This was my understanding of why the third gen can only squeeze 2” max since fox uses the same coil overs for both trucks. Am I incorrect?

Solid setup, the thread I was reading did mention the Bilsteins pulled 3” but he lost an inch when he swapped to the fox.

On another note, how do you like the open country? I see they’re the lightest tire in the size I want to run. I wanted to nitro ridge grapplers but they’re about 6lbs heavier.
those tires are as good as it gets. unbelievably quiet on open highway, and they are a best, they are the all-terrain lll. I wanted a Cooper tire, and my buddy at the shop told me I wanted these, and glad he did

I dont know how he would have lost an inch when he switched, My truck is 3rd generation, and I deal with Trick Trucks in Millsboro De

Happy to help sir!
we are located in las vegas

my truck is a 3rd gen but we work with all sorts of trucks here at our shop

the reason we like to switch customers to tundra shocks in the rear is because they have additional travel over the OE spec shocks that fox includes
the only difference is the fk mount on the bottom wont match with the tacoma mounts, it is a super easy swap and will give you a ton more travel

im running 34s on my truck with 2.5 up front and 3 in the rear and a TON of trimming and smashing haha

but also -38mm offset lyfe

those tires are as good as it gets. unbelievably quiet on open highway, and they are a best, they are the all-terrain lll. I wanted a Cooper tire, and my buddy at the shop told me I wanted these, and glad he did
im actually running the falken wildpeak MT and im not a huge fan im switching to the geolandar mt in a 35

More pics after getting my truck back. Fox 2.5 all around and 34”s like I said before.

Attachments

• DFE52A07-8E65-47D0-9B11-B47C19F3DD8D.jpeg
    DFE52A07-8E65-47D0-9B11-B47C19F3DD8D.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 286
  • 77E45ABA-278E-4ADE-B66E-6D63F487A401.jpeg
    77E45ABA-278E-4ADE-B66E-6D63F487A401.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 246
  • D6011CB2-FB80-4178-8436-6F67494CC7F3.jpeg
    D6011CB2-FB80-4178-8436-6F67494CC7F3.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 262
  • B4E57FA9-B50D-47C7-817A-CEEA3CE502C9.jpeg
    B4E57FA9-B50D-47C7-817A-CEEA3CE502C9.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 6F7AE6F0-C50C-4A21-8623-AED5770E2D64.jpeg
    6F7AE6F0-C50C-4A21-8623-AED5770E2D64.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 271
Looks solid man. Congrats! Are those the -38 wheels? What spring pack in the rear?
Nope these are the 17x8.5 -10. I’ll probably need spacers so I don’t rub in the rear while fully articulating. Not a big deal though. And I’m running Seaver stage 1 springs. Don’t plan on having a lot of weight in the rear any time soon but eventually I’ll probably go to stage 2 springs

Nope these are the 17x8.5 -10. I’ll probably need spacers so I don’t rub in the rear while fully articulating. Not a big deal though. And I’m running Seaver stage 1 springs. Don’t plan on having a lot of weight in the rear any time soon but eventually I’ll probably go to stage 2 springs

Right on- Looks like a super fun truck to play with!

Back