• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Re-gear and tune or just tune?

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I'd like to hear from people who specifically have both re geared and have OV Tune on their rigs. I already tuned the truck and I'm about to pull the trigger on gears. Do you feel both work perfectly or could you be just fine with one or the other? I have 33s, armor, gear, and RTT. After the tune the truck woke up and I have zero complaints. Things may change after I put the tent back on this weekend. But if a regear will improve it even more I'll buy them. If not that money can go towards other mods.

Thanks for any input!

My truck sounds pretty similar to mine, RTT, 33s, armor, etc. I have 5.29s and NO TUNE. The 5.29s are the best thing I ever did. On the blacktop my truck finally has a little acceleration, very little but it now exists. Off road, hills and obstacles are much easier, I rarely use my lockers now. I didn’t realize how much difference it made until I did a few trips with friends who haven’t regeared.

My truck sounds pretty similar to mine, RTT, 33s, armor, etc. I have 5.29s and NO TUNE. The 5.29s are the best thing I ever did. On the blacktop my truck finally has a little acceleration, very little but it now exists. Off road, hills and obstacles are much easier, I rarely use my lockers now. I didn’t realize how much difference it made until I did a few trips with friends who haven’t regeared.
Did you throw lockers in the front and rear while you had it opened up? My plan is to put an ARB in the rear while it's being done. I've hear mixed reviews about doing the front. The one shop advised against the front locker unless I planned on upgrading to RCVs. The tune gave me really good acceleration. Torque would be the benefit from gears I'm sure

I did not do the front lockers mainly because I don’t do any heavy duty wheeling. I mostly drive around Northern Arizona camping and shed hunting. I do a little technical stuff but all my playing in mud and rivers can but handled with rear lockers and a winch.

I did both. The latest version of the ovtune has tunes specific to your tire size and gear ratio. They work well together.

Back