• 3rd & 4th Generation Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016-2024 Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest.

• New Year, New Tacoma3G.com Website! 🤙

Guest, welcome to 203G! Wait, no—2023? No…. Tacoma3G 2.0! The website appears visually different as part of an ongoing redesign. Read more about it, here. Alternatively, you can switch back to any of the now-classic designs, here.

🚧 Please report website oil leaks, your suggestions, and preview upcoming changes, here.

Rattling noise

Jay

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a rattling noise when I’m in drive at a stop. It only is when I’m in drive and then accelerating past 2k and sorta when I turn. It’s a loud noise but doesn’t do it all the time. I’ve checked all my skids and they are torqued down so I’m sorta lost

S

SDyota_66

possibly a ghost :(
I had a similar noise. Was a hose clamp from an exhaust heat shield vibrating on the skid. Granted, would be 1:1M chance they are the same.

Upvote 0

Jay

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
I had a similar noise. Was a hose clamp from an exhaust heat shield vibrating on the skid. Granted, would be 1:1M chance they are the same.
Only in drive through?

Upvote 0
S

SDyota_66

Only in drive through?
For me it was starting up and shutting down, and a few random vibes. Rotated the hose clamp and it went away. I would ask, what have you done to your rig lately, and they see if anything is related. Then see if anything is touching your skids that would vibrate. Without hearing it, hard to tell if it's drive train related or not.

Upvote 0

Jay

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
For me it was starting up and shutting down, and a few random vibes. Rotated the hose clamp and it went away. I would ask, what have you done to your rig lately, and they see if anything is related. Then see if anything is touching your skids that would vibrate. Without hearing it, hard to tell if it's drive train related or not.
So nothing really. My skids have been on for a while. I re torqued them all so I know it’s not them but maybe something hitting them? Sway bar is tight too

Upvote 0
S

SDyota_66

So nothing really. My skids have been on for a while. I re torqued them all so I know it’s not them but maybe something hitting them? Sway bar is tight too
That's a tough one since it happens in drive. Hard to climb under and listen.

Upvote 0

Bird dog

9️⃣ Legend
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
Check u-joints, carrier bearing, pinion backlash, etc (drive line).

Upvote 0

Jay

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
Check u-joints, carrier bearing, pinion backlash, etc (drive line).
Doesn’t do it in reverse. And would likely make a noise when at idle in park though right?

Upvote 0

dsrtrcr

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
I had a rattle similar to yours. It was rocks between skid plate and exhaust. I have RCI skids.

Upvote 0