• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rattle driving me crazy

bertman911

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi all.
Looking for a little help here.
Did a search and didn't turn up any results, so hopefully someone has some some insight.
I've developed a rattle under the right side bed of my 2018 Tacoma 4x4 TRD double cab sb.
I rode in the bed and had my daughter drive around the block. Rattle is continuous. Can't see much from underneath, but definitely seems to be coming from the right front area under the bed.
Any thoughts?
TIA!!

Tighten the bolts holding it to the frame?? Sounds more like a body mount though

Upvote 0
If you just grab the bed from the side and shake the truck side to side can you hear it?

Upvote 0
The spare tire chain? Not in that location, but noise travels. Or...there are exhaust heat shields on that side that may be loose. A 10mm wrench will tell you if that is the cause.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I found the issue (SOLVED).
It was a loose bed bolt. Weird thing was the metal sleeve inside the hole the bold goes through was about 1/8" higher than flush with the bed and wouldnt go down any further. Ended up grinding the sleeve down, then tightening down the bolt again.

Upvote 0
I would buy a new spacer (or find a used one) and find a washer or make a steel shim for on top of the frame tab where the plastic bed sits. The bed is now actually 1/8 inch low in that corner.

I brought my new truck home and checked all the torques on the bolts. ALL of my bed bolts were loose, as were the U bolts that hold the springs to the axle, along with most other body/frame bolts. Dealers are supposed to check the torque on most of the bolts, they check the list and actually check nothing.

Upvote 0
I would buy a new spacer (or find a used one) and find a washer or make a steel shim for on top of the frame tab where the plastic bed sits. The bed is now actually 1/8 inch low in that corner.

I brought my new truck home and checked all the torques on the bolts. ALL of my bed bolts were loose, as were the U bolts that hold the springs to the axle, along with most other body/frame bolts. Dealers are supposed to check the torque on most of the bolts, they check the list and actually check nothing.
Great idea. Thanks Amigo!

Upvote 0
From the info that I could find, bed bolt torque on my 2018 is 55 to 65 ft pounds, dry threads. I put anti seize on my bolt threads and tightened them to 50 ft pounds. It's been a year and nothing has loosened.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I found the issue (SOLVED).
It was a loose bed bolt. Weird thing was the metal sleeve inside the hole the bold goes through was about 1/8" higher than flush with the bed and wouldnt go down any further. Ended up grinding the sleeve down, then tightening down the bolt again.
I would not have guessed that but it's good you figured it out and now we know to suggest this to future members who might have a rattle like this.

Upvote 0
I would not have guessed that but it's good you figured it out and now we know to suggest this to future members who might have a rattle like this.
Yeah for sure!! Hopefully this helps anyone in the future!
Thanks !!

Upvote 0
I believe I ran into the same issue on the same bolt! After additional research, other folks have had issues with that same bolt coming loose. I wonder why?

Thankfully, no grinding or shimming was needed. I do offroad and have had the bed pretty loaded with a rooftop tent and gear that I needed for the last 6 months traveling.

I can confirm a t55 torq socket is needed. I used a 24" inch breaker bar to tighten the bolt down. I can see it being difficult to move.

Upvote 0
Same issue with my 2018 access cab running forest service roads it will drive a guy nuts, you think Toyota would stand behind it. Not bad on hardtop but loud on the washboard roads. 43,000 miles

Upvote 0
OK so just what is wearing out then, is it a bushing missing a loose bolt or bolt bushing that is the main problem. I’m out of town so I cannot just go get my tools but I’m close to to Toyota dealer if I need parts now would be the time. I’m 90 miles from the closet dealer when i‘m home.

“The bolt is tight but the bed is loose has me confused a bit”. LOL

Upvote 0
Soaked the bolt in PB blaster all day then impacted it out before dark, slipped a rubber spacer under the bed on the mount put the bolt back in impacted it back down problem solved. Not a bad fix but it’s a newer truck and not rusty.
B3E5E768-B90F-4EF2-A6FE-993D551352BD.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back