• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Power tank vs arb compressor

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
What’s up peeps, just like the title says, tank vs compressor. Which would you choose? Why did you choose one over the other?

main reason I would want a compressor is for an air locker. Unless there’s a better option out there for a front locker. Arb air locker and compressor was the route I was going to go.

With the power tank I really like how easy it is to maneuver. Instead of moving my vehicle I could just grab the tank and help someone out. And yes you can run air tools on either system. But I think it would be easier with the power tank because the compressor would need an auxiliary tank to really run air tools well. If I’m wrong about that let me know. I’m not an expert.

overall would just like some input from the group and people that have either system.

Compressors are timeless and just so popular. Power tanks however are so much easier to use and give you enough power to use it for tools too!

I run a compressor now but I’ll go to a power tank once I setup my bed the way I want

Compressors are timeless and just so popular. Power tanks however are so much easier to use and give you enough power to use it for tools too!

I run a compressor now but I’ll go to a power tank once I setup my bed the way I want
Yeah I ended up buying a power tank lol. If I choose an air locker for the front then I’ll have a compressor as well. I’ve been looking at an e-locker for the front too though 🤔

Yeah I ended up buying a power tank lol. If I choose an air locker for the front then I’ll have a compressor as well. I’ve been looking at an e-locker for the front too though 🤔

I haven’t ran a power tank so I’m curious to see how it works out for you. Used it a few times yet?

I haven’t ran a power tank so I’m curious to see how it works out for you. Used it a few times yet?
Haven’t received it yet. Should be here Monday. Hopefully I’ll get a break from work too so I can actually get out again lol. I like that it can do more that just fill tires though. I’m sure I’ll find uses for it around the house with projects and what not

Haven’t received it yet. Should be here Monday. Hopefully I’ll get a break from work too so I can actually get out again lol. I like that it can do more that just fill tires though. I’m sure I’ll find uses for it around the house with projects and what not

Which # one did you go with?

A 10 pound bottle. Should be plenty for me. Largest tire I’ll go is 35 but I’ve been looking at different 34’s as of now

That seems to be the right one for most everyone. I know bleepinjeep uses the biggest ones but he runs like 44s and stuff lol.

I think it’s just preference. Tank installed in the bed or somewhere it more like on the go you fill the tank. Use for multi purpose. Whereas compressor is on demand, But also a good for multi use, but a tank can’t use for an air locker or could you? I don’t own none of em just a smitty compressor to air up my tires. But I would pick an arb compressor imo

That seems to be the right one for most everyone. I know bleepinjeep uses the biggest ones but he runs like 44s and stuff lol.
Jesus haha. Yeah I’d say if you’re going to be out for extended periods doing a bunch of tire fills and using tools then definitely go to a 15 at least. 10 is definitely good for most though

I went with the ARB air compressor mounted to the bed side. I didn’t want to worry about mounting or packing a power tank, making sure it’s filled before trips, etc etc. I like the bedside because it’s tucked away and it has its place, pop the lid, hit the switch and you’re ready to go. I used it on this last trip to air up and blow off dust all around the truck and drying off camp kitchen gear after clean up.

Edit: I also pressured up the Road Shower a couple times. I guess another case for me to have the air compressor is not having to worry about running out of air.

Last edited:
Any on board air is a good setup for sure. Definitely nice to have everything right there to just hook up and go.

I can also think of many times when we had to rescue someone and fix the rig on the trail, where not even I would take my tacoma lol. Powertank would be so useful for something like that lol

Any on board air is a good setup for sure. Definitely nice to have everything right there to just hook up and go.

I can also think of many times when we had to rescue someone and fix the rig on the trail, where not even I would take my tacoma lol. Powertank would be so useful for something like that lol
This is true. Didn’t think about the helping others aspect. I don’t plan on carrying any air tools, but what other repairs could you do that would require an air tank?

This is true. Didn’t think about the helping others aspect. I don’t plan on carrying any air tools, but what other repairs could you do that would require an air tank?

Well air tools would be the biggest imo but say someone ripped an air line off and they are stuck but need that locker turned back on, crimping the ends and “engaging“ their air locker for them with the tank. This is obviously if you can’t get your truck with on board air close enough to them.

It is just typically more reliable than a compressor. They fill tires quick and quite a few times with one tank.

Like I said though, there’s really nothing wrong with an onboard setup though. I wouldn’t mind having both, just not needed, yet lol

Well air tools would be the biggest imo but say someone ripped an air line off and they are stuck but need that locker turned back on, crimping the ends and “engaging“ their air locker for them with the tank. This is obviously if you can’t get your truck with on board air close enough to them.

It is just typically more reliable than a compressor. They fill tires quick and quite a few times with one tank.

Like I said though, there’s really nothing wrong with an onboard setup though. I wouldn’t mind having both, just not needed, yet lol

Ah... makes sense. I’ll just bring a 100’ ft air hose with me to help others. Jk. Lol.

I went with the ARB air compressor mounted to the bed side. I didn’t want to worry about mounting or packing a power tank, making sure it’s filled before trips, etc etc. I like the bedside because it’s tucked away and it has its place, pop the lid, hit the switch and you’re ready to go. I used it on this last trip to air up and blow off dust all around the truck and drying off camp kitchen gear after clean up.

Edit: I also pressured up the Road Shower a couple times. I guess another case for me to have the air compressor is not having to worry about running out of air.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Well you could lol

Not hating on a compressor setup, I run that now. Just will get a power tank soon as my main.
Redundancy is never a bad thing if you keep the air compressor. I don’t get to hit the trails often since there’s not much in my area that makes for a quick drive for a weekend trip. So, just having the air compressor tucked away and in it’s place was more ideal for me. One less thing to pack. Haha.

D5D0C214-8FC7-4B7C-BA4C-CDCC968E2B6D.jpeg

Got my tank today. Hopefully I’ll be able to use it once work slows down a bit

A good setup 👍
Thanks! I've had it in there for about 7months and it's working out really well. Before this I had a really cheap amazon compressor that I bought because I wanted to at least have something incase I got a flat on the trail and needed to repair and then inflate.

I often times wouldn't air down because it was such a pain to air back up but with the arb dual compressor it only takes a few mins to go from like 18psi back to 40psi so I find myself airing down a lot more now, or at least willing to.

I eventually want to get some air tools, I think at the very least just something to blow sand/dirt off of stuff

Thanks! I've had it in there for about 7months and it's working out really well. Before this I had a really cheap amazon compressor that I bought because I wanted to at least have something incase I got a flat on the trail and needed to repair and then inflate.

I often times wouldn't air down because it was such a pain to air back up but with the arb dual compressor it only takes a few mins to go from like 18psi back to 40psi so I find myself airing down a lot more now, or at least willing to.

I eventually want to get some air tools, I think at the very least just something to blow sand/dirt off of stuff

That definitely helps. I had the same feeling with my first cheap compressor. What a pain.

Little blow gun from the hardware store would be cheap and easy for blowing off dirt/ dust

Back